Favorite Enemy?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Pirate GM13

Favorite Enemy?

Post by Pirate GM13 »

What's your favorite enemy to spring onto your players, or, if you are a player, what's your favorite enemy to fight?
It's wood golem and kobolds for me, I just love them for some reason, and I usually home brew buffed up versions later in the game. I don't use them all the time, but when I do I get a little more excited.
I also won't say no to a stone giant...
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
Rosisha

Re: Favorite Enemy?

Post by Rosisha »

My favorite enemy to throw at players are typically humans/elves/dwarves - your classic hero races. Humans typically in the form of bandits or criminal gangs.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Slimes, shadows, anything that really blends into the deep dark :twisted:
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

I'm a sucker for tossing out rust monsters and gelatinous cubes.
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Seven

Post by Seven »

Gargoyles maybe? They can be very decorative and don't cost a lot to feed.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

I've been reading a lot of Appendix N lately and a majority of the memorable stories from that feature Human antagonists. Evil High Priests, Necromancers and the like. Even in a world where magic and monsters exist, it's often the greed and curiosity of Humans that lead to the most harm. In my games, if your town is attacked by Orcs or Goblins there's a good chance they've been coerced and mobilized by some dark knight or evil sorcerer type.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Those are what you call "necessary evils". They're not endearing. Not to me, anyway.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

One of my favorite campaigns in my youth (with my brothers) was running a game with a half-orc fighter, evil human MU, and various underlings. They ran thru Keep on the Borderlands, but worked to rule over the caves and the various humanoids there, eventually commandeering the upper/northern sections of Orc lairs and the temple areas including getting the Minotaur on their side. The players did night raids and stealth missions at the keep.

So, with their new strength in the area I decided to create a band of adventurers to confront them. In effect their "bad-guys" were a Paladin with squire, Good MU, Cleric, and various mercs/militia from the keep. It was a solid battle, whereas the players had to bail and run to escape, sacrificing their new humanoids minions.

It was rather cool, because the module played out very well for this... effectively turned the adventures around.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Sir Daggerford

Post by Sir Daggerford »

As a GM, I'd probably have to go with Giant Ferrets, mostly because in one particular campaign arc, I repeatedly rolled them as wandering monsters. My players found it amusing, and since then, they've been somewhat of a recurring gag in my games. Because nobody expects the ferret inquisition! Well, until they do. :lol:

As a player, my favorite enemies to fight tend to be lycanthropes. I've always found them to be intriguing adversaries, who require some creative thinking to defeat more often than not, which makes them that much more interesting to me. Personally, I'd much rather face an opponent I need to be crafty in order to overcome, rather than just another horde of goblins and their ilk.
"Hide behind the mound of dead Bards!" -Flynn the Fine, Gamers: Dorkness Rising

An ex-parrot pining for the fjords, of course!
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Back when I was just starting TTRPG’s I played another game that had a completely different Magic System. The BBG for one of our games was a truly evil caster that covered all the types of magic. Putting this guy in Basic Fantasy form he would be a level 18 for each of the magic types (Magic-User, Illusionist, Necromancer, Spell Crafter, Infernal Sorcerer and Undead Sorcerer) plus some that Basic Fantasy doesn’t have (Aeromancer, Aquamancer, Pyromancer, Terramancer and Demon Summoner). He drove a chariot pulled by 12 Belrogs, Each Belrog had a chariot pulled by 12 Dragons. To just get to the BBG the party would have to fight 144 dragons and 12 belrogs, plus many other creatures that were thralls of the dragons and belrogs. The party saw the BBG fly over once, there was a serious discussion on if we should just leave valor to even higher level groups and turn around or try and see if we could whittle down the BBG’s defenders. That was the end of the semester and we didn’t resume that game, the DM had transferred to another college.