What is the process of printing a new BFRPG Module?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Weegeeman256

What is the process of printing a new BFRPG Module?

Post by Weegeeman256 »

So I started playing last year and fell in love with the system and how affordable it is. I currently own every book that is available to purchase and about 5 copies of the handbook. Maybe it is just me but I rarely find myself interested in reading pdfs no matter how free and amazing they are. For example I read the supplemental classes and races the other day and thought to myself wow if we put this all in one book I would love to have it and I know my players would love to have it during session zero.

Another example is that the Adventure Anthologies 1 & 2 are by far my favorite supplements because they help when the party takes an unexpected turn or you want to run a quick one shot with first time players. I see there is an Adventure Anthology 3 that looks amazing but I don't want to spoil reading in PDF form.

I guess my overall question is what is the process for these amazing works to go from the downloads page to an amazon page and subsequently into my bookshelf? :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: What is the process of printing a new BFRPG Module?

Post by Solomoriah »

Adventures appear in the Workshop when people share them. Chiisu81, aka James Lemon, generally hits them with the formatting hammer within a day or so, and he selects the shorter ones for whatever Adventure Anthology book is presently "open." Chi, Al Vetter, or sometimes other volunteers generally go over them for the usual textual errors as well as rules inconsistencies, and we resolve those. Longer adventures get the same treatment, but stay separate. Eventually the book is deemed "complete" (as in, everything you need to play the adventure has been written) and I do a layout and edit pass and put whatever the current version is on the Downloads page.

Artists volunteer to do art for the new adventure, and Chi or I integrate the new art into the manuscript as we also perform additional editing passes (along with Al and whoever else wants to get involved). We release new revisions on an irregular basis (mostly my fault). Eventually we come up with a version that either James or I believe is "print ready" and I release a new revision identified as a "Print Release Candidate." A candidate that survives a week or more without anyone finding additional errors can then go to print at my convenience (which is sometimes slow, again my fault).

One holdup can be color cover art. We have far fewer color artists than pen-and-ink or other monochrome drawing forms. Kyle Hettinger did an end-run around this by actually paying an artist to do his cover, but that is definitely an exception as this is always first and foremost a collaborative project.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Weegeeman256

Post by Weegeeman256 »

What a cool collaborative effort! Is there any book in particular you are thinking of bringing print next? Maybe you could do a community poll to see where interest is?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Weegeeman256 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:06 am What a cool collaborative effort! Is there any book in particular you are thinking of bringing print next? Maybe you could do a community poll to see where interest is?
I hate to disillusion you, but that's not how it works.

People create what they want to create, and share it with us. (Sometimes "people" and "us" are the same, sometimes not.) We edit and lay out and add artwork on whatever schedule works for us; things get done in a more or less random order sometimes. Some incomplete projects sit for extended periods, unfinished, because no one has enough motivation to complete them.

The last thing you can do in an Open Source collaborative project is to try to mandate, well, *anything*. If you, Weegeeman256, want a particular kind of adventure, and we don't presently have such an adventure, you must write it. Or at least, begin to write it. Sharing incomplete works here in the Workshop is a very good way to get help. If you ask people to help you create something, but you have not created anything yet, it's really really unlikely anyone will help. If you share something, even if it's not very good, people become dramatically more likely to jump in.
Weegeeman256

Post by Weegeeman256 »

Ok thats awesome I would love to share a campaign im running right now thats far from finished, im kind of writing it session per session and letting the PCs shape a large part of it. maybe after 4 or 5 sessions I will share it!

And would I be able to maybe work on a compendium of all the new classes and races in one singular book?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

If those races and classes are of your own creation, yes, you can do a supplement of your house rules and another for your adventure
Adventures can end up on the dowload page, houserules can appear on the showcase if the material meets the standards
I do not recall Solo's posture on setting supplements, I guess the Showcase is as far as they can go.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Settings supplements and rules compilations are not allowed on the Downloads page. Anything I put there acquires an air of "officiality," and I don't want anyone to think either type of item is ever "official." The Showcase is the appropriate place for those items. Even my own Glain Supplement stays in the Showcase... I don't even make an exception for myself.

Setting-specific races or classes would likewise need to stay in the Showcase at best, even if broken apart. I'm really, really trying hard not to let the game acquire any special "flavor" other than "Old School."
Weegeeman256

Post by Weegeeman256 »

Ok great well maybe I will start work on my own campaign!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I'm also not as keen to use PDFs, as handy and free as ours are. ;)
A couple years ago my wife bought me a comb binder, and now I print out any RPG PDFs I'd like to collect and read, along with movie scripts, etc. I also use higher-quality cream-colored paper that's much easier on my eyes.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:41 pm Some incomplete projects sit for extended periods, unfinished, because no one has enough motivation to complete them.
Or, time.