Weapon Attributes

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
loup_garou_gras

Weapon Attributes

Post by loup_garou_gras »

Hi all, just wanted to ask some opinions regarding weapon attributes to give weapons more flavor. I have been reading some of the OD&D and B/X blogs (Necropraxis, Delta, Blackrazor) and in lieu of the tedious and uninteresting weapon vs AC tables, they suggested weapon attributes such as weapons like maces gaining a +2 to hit vs armored opponents to certain weapons gaining an extra attack vs an attacker who missed his or her attack roll. I am on the fence if these are worth the extra effort to remember during the course of combat. Has anyone tried these types of changes, and if so did they provide enough interest to offset the extra rules?
Dimirag

Re: Weapon Attributes

Post by Dimirag »

This will make each weapon more different to each other, which is good if you like that level of tactical thinking when selecting weapons.

The part that can get tricky is creating the different "tags/qualities" making sure they are balanced as to make one weapon the best choice, unless that is the idea.

You can go as simple or complex as you like, and create tags for each weapon or for specific categories, something like:
Cutting weapons get a +2 damage against non-metal armored opponents.
Blunt weapons get a +2 attack bonus against metal armored opponents.

Or go by size and space:
Small weapons get a +2 bonus when fighting up close
Polearms get a bonus when fighting with companions

Or go weapon by weapon like in Rules Cyclopedia
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
loup_garou_gras

I like that in that it is simple and easy to remember. I really liked the idea of some of the lighter weapons gaining a second attack if the target missed their attack (as a riposte of sorts) but the same rules would apply to weapons wielding monsters resulting in a way more lethal environment for the PCs. Not sure I want that. But a little extra crunch is good!

Maybe two-handed weapons could gain both benefits but with the proviso that they always attack last in a round?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

For heavy weapons, in my own ruling I'd say no unless the character has incredible Strength
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I think a second attack is a huge advantage as it really improves the chances of a successful hit.
chiisu81 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:17 pm For heavy weapons, in my own ruling I'd say no unless the character has incredible Strength
I know there are games that uses Ability requirement for weapons, light ones require good DEX but have better initiative while heavier ones deals more damage and thus require higher STR.

I would go with one quality per group, unless you want to create several qualities and start giving each weapon that appear one of them.
One quality makes thinks faster and easier, unless you have some quality stronger than other and want to balance things by either giving more qualities to other weapons or start adding ability requirements.

I always like the idea of more crunchy rolls, where your attack bonus gives and improves your weapon qualities.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

Basic Fantasy is, well, basic enough that you can feel confident adding complexity or layers to any part that fascinates you without fundamentally breaking the game. If you wanna try your hand at weapons rules expansions, go for it. It's a project that goes all the way back to Greyhawk and the fan 'zines, finding interesting ways to make weapons more mechanically distinct from one another. In my own game, I try to keep such things narrative/abstract for simplicity's sake, but your campaign has its own goals and that's cool. I say just go for it and see what works. Keep notes and make revisions as you find better ways to do things. Be honest with your players up front that this is evolving/playtest material and you're golden.
loup_garou_gras

Thanks for the replies! The balance between crunch and simplicity I imagine is a battle we all face as that is part of the whole OD&D/BX appeal. Still cannot make up my mind, in part because I have two groups of gamers. My teenagers love more crunch, but I have young twins that I am likewise aiming to indoctrinate into this great hobby.

I have three different rules for ability score generation. I have a Gritty, High Fantasy, and Hero in Evolution (ultimately High Fantasy). I like them all and doubt I could ever settle on one of them.

There are so many variant rules that look fun, just hard to know where to draw the line. . . . . .*sigh*
Seven

Post by Seven »

In my games, I reserve the more complex mechanics for specific magical weapons.
This way you can satisfy everybody, as long as they're willing to quest for it.
billiambabble

Post by billiambabble »

Coming to AD&D 2e very late, I was intrigued by the pierce, slash and blunt weapon classes vs. armour types table:
AD&D 2e Wpn vs Armour
AD&D 2e Wpn vs Armour
ct9qatqd06yqjhysh.png (170.96 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
I remember writing a 3 x 4 table of armour groups vs. slash, pierce, blunt weapons - but I can't find it at the moment. Although I haven't tested it, my preference would not be to go higher or lower than +1 or -1. If I find it I'll post it.

I get nervous flashbacks to that Weapons vs. AC matrix in AD&D(1e) which was difficult to apply non-humanoid encounters. It's a monster of a table. See below. :shock:
Attachments
AD&D 1e Weapon vs. Armour
AD&D 1e Weapon vs. Armour
1E-WeaponTypes.png (427.81 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I don't know if posting parts of those games on the forum is allowed :|

As for weapon vs armor, LibraryLass made a a table years ago: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=180&start=80#p51076