Raising Stats

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Saltmarsh

Raising Stats

Post by Saltmarsh »

Hi all just a quick thought for you all , what's your opinion of characters being able to raise there stats ?
I've thought about it and come up with an idea characters at lvls 3,6 and 9 can choose to raise one of there stats by 1 point , this can be done once they lvl up but will cost the characters their hit points for that level.
So the characters can choose to raise a stat or roll their hit dice at those levels they cant roll the hit dice then decide they must choose first .
So your thoughts please thank you
Dimirag

Re: Raising Stats

Post by Dimirag »

Copying my FB response
If you use such a rule you should either change the modifier progression or use a cost-base purchase as higher bonuses will appear more quickly
I think SmootRK uses the d20 ability bonuses with level progression (a quicker one for humans)

I have posted a couple (or maybe just one) ability improvement rule in the past
Here it is
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 am Copying my FB response
If you use such a rule you should either change the modifier progression or use a cost-base purchase as higher bonuses will appear more quickly
I think RKSmoot uses the d20 ability bonuses with level progression (a quicker one for humans)

I have posted a couple (or maybe just one) ability improvement rule in the past
Here it is
Correct. I use a simple add 1 to a single ability each 4 levels (choice), Every 3 levels for Humans.

Since majority of games do not persist extraordinarily long, this has rarely been anything other than a small "feel good" benefit for players at third or forth level. I suppose a long enduring game where characters are hitting upper teens it might get weird, so a cap could be imposed such as no more than 3 points toward a single score or upper limit of 18 (or whatever) max.

I also utilize an expanded ability score range that covers what bonuses are through 25 (which helps cover Giant Strength, God-like Wisdom, etc... sorta like what was found in AD&D 1e Deity and Demigods book. So, I could have caps of like 20 or so comfortably for PCs.

Regardless, like I said, the top ends would be rare at best, and I have never encountered anything that makes this feel outa control. Gives players another little piece that makes them feel like they have control over growth of character that in practical terms does little to game play. I like throwing in those small bennies to players that don't really harm balance.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

It's more my style to make such increases rewards for in-game exploration. Certain tomes, potions or places of power exist in my campaign world. They're not cheap or easy to find and often a Faustian bargain is involved. For every action in the world, an equal and opposite reaction, etc. Old magic and forgotten gods often demand sacrifice, for instance...
Guffaw

Post by Guffaw »

Tazer_The_Yoot wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:41 pm It's more my style to make such increases rewards for in-game exploration. Certain tomes, potions or places of power exist in my campaign world. They're not cheap or easy to find and often a Faustian bargain is involved. For every action in the world, an equal and opposite reaction, etc. Old magic and forgotten gods often demand sacrifice, for instance...
This is generally how I do it, as well. In my campaigns, attribute increases can only be obtained through the completion of great quests or accomplishing great deeds. Slaying the Vampire queen at the bottom of the third subfloor of a dungeon full of perils gets you a magic book which gives one person a +1 to one attribute when read, then disintegrates into ash.

My preference for doing it this way is based on the idea I want to get my players away from the idea that leveling up is the only way to attain power. It gets their head in the game in a way that's more preferable to me than just the rulebook.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

Good point. For me, having such things be little boxes players check off reminds me of "builds", whereas my idea of old school is more about getting in the headspace of your fantasy character and interacting with the world as if you were that character. In that style of game, you find things by following leads and taking chances. That's how I use Basic Fantasy. It's a magical world and anything is possible, but very little is given for free