MU-Thieves

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
billiambabble

MU-Thieves

Post by billiambabble »

I've been away from Basic Fantasy for a while, mainly as a reader and speculator of the ultimate campaigns I never get around to playing. ;) Reading rules and supplements I feel like I'm having a second honeymoon at the moment. One thing which is suddenly appealing is the option to play Magic-User-Thieves especially in terms of how interesting those characters must be personality wise. What are people's experiences with this mix? Are they common in your games or the exception?
teaman

Re: MU-Thieves

Post by teaman »

billiambabble wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:38 pm I've been away from Basic Fantasy for a while, mainly as a reader and speculator of the ultimate campaigns I never get around to playing. ;) Reading rules and supplements I feel like I'm having a second honeymoon at the moment. One thing which is suddenly appealing is the option to play Magic-User-Thieves especially in terms of how interesting those characters must be personality wise. What are people's experiences with this mix? Are they common in your games or the exception?
Welcome aboard! (I'm sketchingjohn on IG, so I see your art there all the time).

I'm supposed to have an illusionist-thief in my upcoming campaign, so I'll let you know how it goes. right now one of my players is DM-ing for a bit, for which I am eternally grateful.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
billiambabble

Post by billiambabble »

Hi sketchingjohn, whom here I shall know as "teaman" :D Small world! Thanks. :)
Sir Daggerford

Post by Sir Daggerford »

I know in a short-lived campaign I ran some time ago (2019, I believe), one of the characters was an elven magic-user/thief. I'd say the mixture of the two classes worked well in terms of game mechanics and abilities. The multi-class idea also fit quite nicely into the backstory of the campaign, though that likely had to do with the fact that the characters were all acting more-or-less as spies for rival guilds in a large city setting.
"Hide behind the mound of dead Bards!" -Flynn the Fine, Gamers: Dorkness Rising

An ex-parrot pining for the fjords, of course!
billiambabble

Post by billiambabble »

Intrigue! That sounds great and well woven into the campaign, by the sounds of things. Thanks for sharing.
Saltmarsh

Post by Saltmarsh »

In my upcoming game on of my players wants to run a Illusionist thief and I think it will be an intriguing character
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

That does sound pretty interesting. Way back in the day I had a friend who loved playing gnome illusionist/thieves. It was a pretty cool class option.