Half Ogers

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Saltmarsh

Half Ogers

Post by Saltmarsh »

I'm thinking of allowing Half Ogers to be Barbarians but would the D12 hit dice be a bit to much, has anyone else done this ?
If so did it work out ok ?
teaman

Re: Half Ogers

Post by teaman »

The average roll on a d10 is 5.5. On a d12 it's 6.5. Roughly an extra hp per level.

So over three or four levels, that's one extra hit they can take from a weapon that does d6 damage.

I can't say whether it is too much or not, but at least there are some numbers to think about. And as you go up in levels, the monsters may do more damage as well. The half-ogre will still be the tank of the party, but maybe not as crazy as it might seem at first.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I guess you are using Luigi Castellani's barbarian. They would have the chance of higher HP but they can also roll low values.
If you are not sure about the barbarian's Hit Die you can replace that special ability with another (there are some ideas on the class thread) or use any of the other available barbarians...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
docgeo

Post by docgeo »

My oldest son has decided to join my game group and asked to be a 1/2 Ogre Barbarian. It looks like a great fit but I worry about how the local Town NPCs will react.
Saltmarsh

Post by Saltmarsh »

Yeah reactions from towns people are often overlooked (especially in newer games) but as long as the party behaves themselves they should be ok , and spending plenty of coin in town wont hurt
docgeo

Post by docgeo »

the existing group my oldest is joining has been working out of this town for the last three sessions and built up a very healthy reputation.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Back in the day, my brother was running a half-ogre in a Kara-Tur setting.
We had lots of fun with it.
He was some sort of temple servant, so there was no problems with the villagers.
He had lots of hp, but weapons generally did more damage against large creatures.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

I allowed it in one of my games a few years ago. It was not a problem at all.

As stated above, it's an average increase of 1 hp per level, but only for the period in which they gain HD i.e. levels 1-9. So on average they'll gain 9 extra hp compared to non-ogre barbarians. This feels like a fair amount to me both from a verisimilitude perspective, and when balanced against the other restrictions and drawbacks of the race.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.