Solomoriah Speaks E3 - An Impossible Review

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Solomoriah Speaks E3 - An Impossible Review

Post by Solomoriah »

Just posted a new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAlgDWnzJ_Y

As always, looking forward to everyone's opinion.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seven

Re: Solomoriah Speaks E3 - An Impossible Review

Post by Seven »

Interesting.

I'll just say that there's a few things about BFRPG that I only understood after reading Project 74.

Also, if someone just want to run a few available adventures than the core rules and the adventures are sufficient. However, unless they are total newbies, players often want to play specific characters and that requires some digging through the races/classes/combat options.

When writing my own adventures, I find I often need--or think I need--the higher level spells.
For the NPCs, not the players.

But yeah, decent sales speech.
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

I started with AD&D back in the day but switched to BECMI because of how much simpler it was. So when I wanted to come back to the hobby a few years ago, I wanted to use an OSR retroclone that’s very much like BECMI but minus the fluff of higher level play.

I looked at more faithful BX clones but found rules in there I didn’t like that I would just houserule out. I looked at more OD&D-based ones and found that I may have to houserule several things in. That’s when I decided to go with BFRPG. I like how it handles energy drain, it has options for negative hit points, not immediately lethal poison, XP for gold is not a mandatory rule, an ability skill check system that doesn’t make the thief skills irrelevant, no level limits for Demi humans, well defined spell descriptions, and so on. Basically, it does things exactly like I want it to without having to houserule much of anything else.

Then on top of that, the website provides lots and lots of options that can be added to the core game but not compulsory.

Also, all the PDFs are free and the hard copies are super cheap! This makes it so easy to introduce this game to newbies. It makes the rules very accessible. The barrier for entry is nearly zero.

I also love the community around the game. My general feeling is that most of us like old school but we are not puritanical about it (I feel that there’s a big push to go old school raw in other communities). What others forget (or don’t know) is that It’s also very old school to houserule the game.

The main thing that saddens me is that BFRPG seems to be an underrated OSR game. Not sure how else can we help to lift its profile.

Anyway, I’ve rambled on. I just want to thank Chris and all the BFRPG collaborators through the years for such an awesome, classic and enduring game.
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

Something about Basic Fantasy makes it great and why I'm glad I decided to jump back into the hobby after a shut down of having a issue getting familiar with a system I'll like and of course personal reasons. Before I learned/owned BFRPG and WB:FMAG. I had Dungeon World and Savage Worlds. Though the systems didn't really favor me that whole since I couldn't find much people to play with.

I have no history of RPGs so its all about finding the system I can enjoy. Though learning what the OSR was and what made it different from modern D&D, which I haven't played that much 5e and don't own the books. I went on to researching which would fit my gaming experience that I want in a game. So Basic Fantasy, other B/X or BECMI games had me wander what made them different. Though it was only minor with the changes. (I won't keep this post long).

What I like:
I like the level limits removed (all advance 20th level), race and class, and Ascending Armor Class. Pretty much allows anyone to advance further without feeling they can only make it far. The spells are listed from A-Z and the book as a whole covers everything you need with a low cost whether printing the PDF or buying the book. Also not only core rules but more on the website.

What I've found:
This is kinda a dislike but from what I learned of course is that the book is organized in a way the GM needs the information than have the players worry of tracking stuff. Notably the Cleric's turn undead and saving throw tables. Now this was mentioned from questing beast's review and I understand from what he means. There is nothing else I dislike but that point he makes and others comment about.

Overall, A wonderful OSR system, currently doing solo play with an adventure called Valley of the Conqured King, but have enjoyed group plays with some people I've encountered online and played in. I also agree with the misconception that Basic Fantasy is just a D20 lite or 3.5 game, but really when you have mechanics that are tweaked and changed from what was originally written then it will have some wonder about these changes if it is modern and/or classic. Though if you are taking inspirtation or influence from something then that was the intention for the game. As a whole a rules-light system and packed with enough to go on an adventure.
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

gabeprime wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:21 am The main thing that saddens me is that BFRPG seems to be an underrated OSR game. Not sure how else can we help to lift its profile.
That's exactly how I feel.
I'm optimistic though, because so many people have rediscovered RPGs with 5e over the last few years.
Re: lifting the profile, one thing in BF's favor is the low cost. When I had a friend join our home game who hadn't played any RPGs since he was a kid, I just bought him a copy of the core rules. It's about the cost of a cup of coffee.
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Solomoriah wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:09 pm Just posted a new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAlgDWnzJ_Y

As always, looking forward to everyone's opinion.
It's a good video...more comprehensive than the others I've seen. Its probably too long for someone who wants a general understanding, but probably the best starting point for any GM serious about switching from another system.
One point that you made gets scant outside commentary: all materials are available in their source format on the main site. That's actually a game changer (see what I did there? ;) ).
Another game changer that's important: no plans for a 4th edition. That's great to hear.
Funny, I wasn't expecting a reference to Blackapple! I'm really looking forward to that eventual playtesting input (from Solo or anyone).
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

I read the reddit OSR quite a bit and BFRPG is actually pretty well known and is regarded by most on that site as the best or one of the best OSR RPG's. I think it is getting a lot more well known.

Honestly, I think one of the turn offs for BF is it's name. It's not got the same ring as Swords and Wizardry or Castle and Crusades or Labyrinth Lord. My kids call it "Basic" and that's cool because it reminds me of Basic Dnd. But the name is just not snazzy. It's kind of like OSRIC. The name doesn't bother me but you do get some looks that say "that doesn't sound interesting" when you mention running a game of "Basic Fantasy."

But BF is getting more well known. One of the common suggestions out there is to pick up BFRPG and run Tomb of the Serpent Kings, which, if you run a game like that simply with pdfs, you would be out exactly zero dollars (both are free). And honestly, running a game of BF with ToSK sounds like a really good time. I'd be in.
teaman

Post by teaman »

Watched the video as I was painting today. Nicely done and it's rare that you get to hear a game author discuss his own system.

Liked how Solo discussed how and WHY he made some modifications to the old system. Now if only I could get my students to explain their answers when they write lab reports.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
xeroxeroxero

Post by xeroxeroxero »

I introduced BFRPG to my friends and the low cost was a big factor in it taking off as a game for us.

The low financial investment allowed them all to get access to the rules, which I asked them all to invest their time to read, which in turn I think meant that they were more open to sticking with it when they lost characters or progress. It's now a firm Monday night favourite for all of us.

To echo a point made earlier, to hear from the creator(s) of a game, and get their insight into how they approached making it, can be very useful for people I think, especially when new to a genre or system, so thanks again for your series of videos.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

On the subtopic of BFRPG being under-hyped, that appears to be both true and untrue based on my observations. People are riding the OSE hype train to the moon in recent months, and I can't blame them because the entire presentation of that system is a thing of beauty and it deserves a place in the OSR pantheon (although it's too pricey for my blood), but whenever someone does bring up good old Basic Fantasy, plenty of people always come out of the woodwork to sing its relative praises. I think BFRPG is kind of a "silent majority" style game. It's just ubiquitous in a kind of "well of course this is great and completely free" kind of way. (I will say that one thing that OSE benefits strongly from is an SRD site where things can be easily referenced. Has there ever been any thought of having one for the BFRPG core rules?)