Barrowmaze + BFRPG - any tips?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
monkeywork

Barrowmaze + BFRPG - any tips?

Post by monkeywork »

I realize I'm very late to the party when it comes to Barrowmaze but hey everyone discovers things like this eventually right :)

I've been reading and considering starting an open table Barrowmaze game and was wondering if others have had experience running it with BFRPG and if they had any problems / tips / things to watch out for with regards to it.

Any issues converting the LL monsters listed?
Any issues with undead and the cleric being OP?
Any time management issues?
Any problems with the above world hex crawl through the swamp?

Thanks for any input
cailano

Re: Barrowmaze + BFRPG - any tips?

Post by cailano »

Well, this is an old post and I'm even later to the Barrowmaze party, but I thought I'd try some thread necromancy to see if anyone has any thoughts now that we're in 2021.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If the monsters are given in Labyrinth Lord format, they should be nearly 100% compatible with BFRPG. Just deduct the AC from 10, and look up unfamiliar monsters in the LL core rules (or substitute BFRPG versions where appropriate).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
rudgar

Post by rudgar »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:07 am If the monsters are given in Labyrinth Lord format, they should be nearly 100% compatible with BFRPG. Just deduct the AC from 10, and look up unfamiliar monsters in the LL core rules (or substitute BFRPG versions where appropriate).
From 20, right?
rudgar

Post by rudgar »

I wouldn't forsee any issues - although I haven't played it
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

BFRPG is easy to use with materials from Labyrinth Lord, D&D/AD&D (up to version 2), Old School Essentials, Sword & Wizardry, etc. etc.
Accounting for different Armor Class conventions is about the only thing you have to consider, and that's simple math you can do on the fly.
I recently saw a (non-BFRPG) OSR product with a statement on it saying that such-and-such a rule system was required for its use. I think that's misleading... all these systems are essentially the same game in terms of mechanics. Basic Fantasy is just unique in that it produces stuff for free or for just the cost of printing.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Oops. Yes, from 20. Gah.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org