City-based adventures?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
hereward

City-based adventures?

Post by hereward »

Hello all,
I've been running a Morgansfort campaign and am loving the system. Really straightforward and easy to adapt for our needs.
The party have nearly completed the Olde Island Fortress and I want to give them a break from the dungeon crawl (they've been stuck in the dungeon for about 5 or 6 play sessions now!). I think they are probably going to head to Slateholm and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or materials for city-based adventures? When I used to play AD&D2e I had the Waterdeep box and the Lankhmar box - they were both full of great ideas for running a city-style campaign but I foolishly gave them away several years ago.
Any thoughts, folks?
Cheers.
chiisu81

Re: City-based adventures?

Post by chiisu81 »

hereward

Post by hereward »

Thanks!
I have downloaded it and also the AD&D2e Cities of Mystery book... I should be able to put something together to give them a bit of variety from dungeon crawls and slogs through the wilderness!
Cheers
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

I ran a city adventure a while back and we had a great time.

I did a lot of research and this website had the best info (it even has a couple of free PDF's that are very helpful): https://themudworldblog.com/city-advent ... ying-game/

I ended up just going to donjon (https://donjon.bin.sh/) and hitting the city generator. It generated a city the size that I wanted and included sectors and taverns and npc's and such.

I did not try to outline every road and building and such and would recommend that you NOT do that if you want to keep your sanity. Instead, just put a few things in each sector and make travel throughout the city like a hex crawl. Each sector is it's own hex.

Find you a list of city encounters online and insert them in. Figure out how the city is run and put in some different factions and some crime stories. Put in some hooks for the PC's to go after. You may put in some hooks that will lead them out of the city.

Best advice: don't spend too much time on the details. Put in some interesting stuff and roll with it. My players stepped off the boat into the city I created and literally started a new adventure with a random NPC that I had no info with. I just made some stuff up on the fly and away it went.