A couple of in-game questions and comments

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Cumbana820

A couple of in-game questions and comments

Post by Cumbana820 »

Good morning everyone. So I have had the pleasure of finally running a campaign via zoom with friends during this quarantine.I've spoken about it and asked questions on the facebook page previously(My name is Anthony) The campaign is ridiculous, but so much fun. As we have played and progressed through the campaign, some rules issues have come up. I have no problem coming up with them on the fly but have some questions and comments and thought maybe some people on the board here could help.

1. We ended Saturdays session where my friend, who is playing a Druid, used his animal affinity skill to befriend two Giant Flies who were attacking the group. Having him make the roll as the last action of the night was hilarious. I am curious: how long does the affinity/friendship the animals who he "turns", last? I read the rules for animal affinity/friendship but did not see anything regarding this. Did I miss something? I don't want to give him this idea that they will just follow him around forever.

In addition, he has all these grand plans for what he wants to do with the flies, but what is the limitation of what they will do for him beyond follow him around. Would they carry stuff for him? Again, I ask this with the understand that I could easily just decide this for myself but I am always interested in other points of view.

2. I know there is a magic shop document and I used it last session, with the understanding that magic in the OSR is not as superhero-like and common, so I understood why the prices were so high. Yet, I also understand that this campaign may not last forever and I want them to have some fun. I am terrible coming up with reasonable prices for items, as well as what shop inventories are. Does anyone have a good magic generator other than the document or the donjon one?

3. I know many rolls are 1-6 or 2-6, but one fun thing I have done so the players don't ever know if they truly succeeded is I choose 1 number out of 6 beforehand(or a range, if it is a range) and have the players roll instead of the DM. So for instance, if player has a 1-6 chance to search for a room trap, I decide the number will be "5" on the 6 sided die and let them roll.If their range is 2-6, then I write down they have to get a 5 or a 6, or a 2 or a 3. I just think it is more fun for players to always roll. This can be used for percentage dice as well. I don't think think is an original idea, but i have found it to be fun. Does anyone else do this?

If I have any more questions i'll post them on the boards. Thanks everyone and enjoy your memorial day! :D :D
Dimirag

Re: A couple of in-game questions and comments

Post by Dimirag »

how long does the affinity/friendship the animals who he "turns", last?
I see different options (3 is my chosen one)
1- 2d4 turns as per the turning undead rules
2- A whole day (or other set time)
3- As long as both are in the proximity of where the animal was found, the animal won't follow the Druid as a companion beyond its habitat or area. I would let the Druid to work with the animal in making him a companion/henchmen via some animal affinity and reaction rolls. If the place is big enough that the animal can follow the Druid virtually anywhere I would limit the max number of animal to 12 HD.
Would they carry stuff for him?
Druid Supplement wrote:A Befriended animal will follow the druid, guarding and assisting within its capabilities so long as the druid remains in the general vicinity of its normal lair or range. However, it will not “fight to the death” or sacrifice itself indiscriminately.
I would say yes they would.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/