Charging

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Jayare411

Charging

Post by Jayare411 »

Need some clarification on the rules:

The attack made after the charge is made at +2 on the attack roll. The charging character or creature takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class for the remainder of the round. If the attack hits, it does double damage.

So if the player is charging gets +2 and a -2 to their Armor Class. The double damage is if that charging creature/player hits (correct?)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Charging

Post by Solomoriah »

Yes.

And no charging with a sword. Spears, lances, sure, but swords and axes aren't charging weapons.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Jayare411

Post by Jayare411 »

Awesome Thanks!
Seven

Post by Seven »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:01 pm Yes.

And no charging with a sword. Spears, lances, sure, but swords and axes aren't charging weapons.
I guess there could be an exception for single edged swords, like scimitars, cavalry sabres, etc... These weapons could or should have some advantage on a mounted charge. My cavalry units are usually equipped with backswords.

There's no distinction between scimitar and longsword in the basic game and I am not sure if it warrants a balancing penalty of some sort, when on foot.

Scimitar +1 are pretty rare, but I still feel a longsword is a better melee weapon.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not sure how much "advantage" you want to give, but the point of charging damage is that you put the moving mass of the attacker (and steed, if any) behind the point of a penetrating weapon.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:22 pm I'm not sure how much "advantage" you want to give, but the point of charging damage is that you put the moving mass of the attacker (and steed, if any) behind the point of a penetrating weapon.
There's no question that curved single edged blades were superior when fighting mounted against opponents on foot. Also, if the horse takes you passed the opponent, you might not care as much about being out of balance on a missed swing. So, yeah, there would be several limitations, but being on a charging horse definitively would put a lot of heft on that swing. Kinda like the strength bonus, really. So maybe just a +2 damage instead of the double damage as there is no impalement and not cumulative with any ogre or giant strength bonus.

I suppose the limitation on foot would come from the space needed to wield properly since the weapon cannot stab. So, maybe a -2 or -4 to hit in cramped space would do. Kinda like what happens with polearms.

I think I'll play with that. I'm setting up an orc ambuscade against a cavalcade as part of a campaign scenario. Seems like the perfect opportunity.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Also for the spear, I would rule that it requires wielding it with both hands.
I just can't picture someone holding a shield in one hand and a spear in the other running towards an enemy and doing the same type of damage.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

No, but that's exactly how you use a lance on horseback.
Seven

Post by Seven »

I meant for a foot charge, pole vaulting style. Without the jumping of course.

On horseback, a long spear would work, but without the vamplate of a lance, it would be hard to retain a grip on the weapon. A short spear, would rather be used in a over-the-head one-handed grip and probably thrown. Also, on a horse, the shield hand is used to hold the bridle.

In some conditions, a running shield bash is possible--I have tackled someone running at full speed once, as a kid--and I was shocked by how far he flew. Would not work if the target has a higher mass.

All very situational, but nothing too complicated.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:01 pm Yes.

I think I gave everyone a charge, including sword wielders.. I figured the charge is with an overhanded heavy swing which is why you would get the -2 to AC for being caught in a fairly awkward position after taking that shot. 10' and a free charging lane are still required.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony