Hit points clarification

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Eric42

Hit points clarification

Post by Eric42 »

I was wondering if anyone here can help me understand hit point growth progression a little bit better. For all the basic classes they stop getting extra hit dice at level 9 but from there they just get the plus number, like for the fighter at level 10 d8 + 2. Does that mean they just simply game to hit points at level 10?
Rookie555

Re: Hit points clarification

Post by Rookie555 »

From what I know once you reach that level (10-20th) you roll the amount of hit dice and do not apply the Constitution (Con) modifer as the +2 is added to the total rolled hit points. Thus you add that to your max hit points from your last level which is 9th level. Which the further you advance in levels increases the bonus, but that depends on what class you play.
Eric42

Post by Eric42 »

From what I've read in the core, that can't be right. It says the number gained is a fixed number for starters. A random die roll isn't fixed. And then rolling 9d8 (for fighters) plus # for every level would give them an obsene amount of up
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not sure what the confusion is here. A first level fighter has 1d8 hit points. plus Constitution bonus, and gains 1d8+CON bonus each level thereafter, up to 9th level. Thus, a fifth level fighter has 5d8 hit points, plus 5 times the Constitution bonus if any. At 9th level the fighter rolls his last die and adds that bonus for the last time, and every level after that adds 2 more points.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Eric42

Post by Eric42 »

It is less confusion than it is clarification. I wanted to make sure that I was understanding the system correctly as I'm reading the core book for the first time ever. I'm not new to RPGs but every systems got little teeny tiny differences and I like to just try to clarify those differences when I can.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I couldn't figure out what this meant: "Does that mean they just simply game to hit points at level 10?"
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I think he meant "gain 2 hit points"?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The Hit Die value at each level represents the combined HD that a character of that class and level will have.
Hit Dice are not re-rolled at any level.
When the Hit Dice amount increases in its amount of die form one level to another, it means the character earns the hit points from the roll of that earned hit die
When the Hit Dice shows an increase in a flat value bonus it means the character earns that flat amount of hit points.
The Constitution bonus is applied to hit dice rolls, so, its not applied when a character earns a flat bonus.
For example, a fighter with a +1 CON bonus will add 1 hit point to his hit dice rolls, which are made from level one up to level 9, starting a 10th level he no longer earns hit dice, instead he earns a flat value and his CON bonus is not used to modify this value.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Eric42

Post by Eric42 »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:38 am I couldn't figure out what this meant: "Does that mean they just simply game to hit points at level 10?"
Chiisu got it right. Lol. I am on a phone and was using voice recognition to post that message and of course, it messed it up and I did not catch it.