Overland Travel Movement Rates

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
cbarchuk

Overland Travel Movement Rates

Post by cbarchuk »

Let me first say I'm absolutely terrible with math. So due to this I'm having a real hard time wrapping my mind around how to make terrain adjustments as my party is traveling. I know it doesn't have to be exact but its driving me crazy that I can't seem to understand it completely without having to break out a calculator. I need some one to enlighten me. :lol: My group is currently playing the Chaotic Caves adventure and their mileage per day is 12. This is what I do understand...

On clear, plains, or a trail they can move exactly 12 squares for the day. In forests and hills they can move a total of 8 squares for the day and if in mountainous regions they can move 4 squares for the day.

My issue is mainly when the terrain changes like if they move from a few forest squares into mountains back into clear etc...In forests I think I've been saying the first square of movement costs 1 mile and the second costs 2 miles, then 1, then 2 etc...Is that even right. I don't know for some odd reason it makes my brain hurt. Don't even ask me to figure out diagonal movement. :lol: So is there an easier way to look at this that I'm completely missing? Thanks!
Clever_Munkey

Re: Overland Travel Movement Rates

Post by Clever_Munkey »

I'm assuming you're using a map with a one mile square grid.

Assume your players have 24 movement points. Plain squares cost 2 points to cross, (12 miles per day) Forest squares cost 3 points (8 miles per day), Mountain squares cost 6 points (4 miles per day). This should work assuming there aren't any roads where they'll be able to travel up to 18 miles a day.

If you're really worried about that, then they should get 72 points. plains cost 6 points, forests cost 9, mountains cost 18, and roads cost 4 points
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

And the way to handle diagonals without tearing out your hair is like this: Every second diagonal move counts double. OR... every diagonal move costs 1.5 times the normal points. Either way works pretty well, and isn't too far wrong mathematically speaking.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Clever_Munkey wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:16 pm I'm assuming you're using a map with a one mile square grid.

Assume your players have 24 movement points. Plain squares cost 2 points to cross, (12 miles per day) Forest squares cost 3 points (8 miles per day), Mountain squares cost 6 points (4 miles per day). This should work assuming there aren't any roads where they'll be able to travel up to 18 miles a day.

If you're really worried about that, then they should get 72 points. plains cost 6 points, forests cost 9, mountains cost 18, and roads cost 4 points
Yes I am using a one-mile square grid. Your response really helped. It's exactly what I needed. Thanks to you both.