Multiclass Humans

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Hackworthy

Multiclass Humans

Post by Hackworthy »

I'm starting a new BFRPG campaign next week. (Number 3 already!) One of my players wants to know how much I'm willing to stretch the multiclass rules. The answer is: Not much. I know mechanically Fighter/Thief is definitely bad and flavor-wise kind of stupid, the same I figure is probably true of Cleric/Fighter. Cleric/Thief I just don't like the sound of whether it works or not. I AM however willing to consider allowing Human Magic-User/Fighter or Magic-User/Thief.

Humans having those multiclass options sits just fine with me from a flavor perspective. My concern is, does the Human +10% XP provide an unfair advantage over Elves, given how XP-hungry a multiclass is? My guess is not considering how good Elves' other racial qualities are but I'd like to hear from somewhere who has done this already.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Multiclass Humans

Post by Solomoriah »

No, I very much doubt it makes enough difference to be a serious problem.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Consider that, unless you choose to change it, a human fighter-magic user should roll a d8 for hit points but will not be able to cast spells while armored

The d6 on the multiclass is due to the elven HD limit while the armored casting is an unwritten elven special ability.

It has been said that the human XP bonus is not a remarkable quality, so it shouldn't give any problem, same if you choose to go with a higher bonus, elves have other benefits on their hands
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:18 am Consider that, unless you choose to change it, a human fighter-magic user should roll a d8 for hit points but will not be able to cast spells while armored

The d6 on the multiclass is due to the elven HD limit while the armored casting is an unwritten elven special ability.

It has been said that the human XP bonus is not a remarkable quality, so it shouldn't give any problem, same if you choose to go with a higher bonus, elves have other benefits on their hands
This is accurate for me as well. I parse out a few of these technicalities in my own houserules document and add details one of the more viable combos: MU/Cleric

a quick search finds my houserule document shared here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2300&p=59433&hilit= ... cument#top

scroll down a few posts
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hackworthy

Post by Hackworthy »

An interesting point, I think I'd keep the d6 hit die even for a Human MU/Fighter. That feels more balanced in comparison to Clerics.

I *might* be willing to allow an MU/Cleric but it seems kind of like a logistical nightmare and would only make sense for a Cleric who serves a God of Magic. Not sure I like it though.
Temple_Knight

Post by Temple_Knight »

Hackworthy wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:42 pm I know mechanically Fighter/Thief is definitely bad and flavor-wise kind of stupid, the same I figure is probably true of Cleric/Fighter. Cleric/Thief I just don't like the sound of whether it works or not.
Why is that?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Mathematically, at a given xp amount, a single class thief "fights" better than a similar xp fighter/thief.

There is just no advantage in adding fighter to a bfrpg thief.

That said, I utilize a subclass of thief called a Thug... a slightly beefier thief. Look in the Showcase for "Additional Fighting Classes"
Alternatively, you could consider a version of Ranger that provides a lighter faster sort of Fighter with a few skills.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I don't think Temple is asking what you think he's asking. I think he's asking about the cleric/thief.

I don't like them but I can't give you a stronger or clearer explanation than that.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Thematically I can see them working as priests of a thief god, but for any other religion I think it's sketchy as from a motivation point of view, though personally I prefer the way the rules are written with Multi-Classing restricted to Elves, it gives the feel of the old B/X rules without the ridiculousness of Race as Class.
No matter where you go...there you are
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

This ugly large table shows the difference in Attack Bonus and HP based on XP for a Thief, a Cleric and a Cleric-Thief, this does not compares thieving skills, spells, or turning undead (but its not hard to fill those blanks)
Cleric Thief.jpg
Cleric Thief.jpg (675.41 KiB) Viewed 958 times
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/