Morgansfort for beginners

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
nemolomen

Re: Morgansfort for beginners

Post by nemolomen »

Yeah, you really can't beat that pricing, which is why I've ordered all of the Basic Fantasy books available on Amazon along with Chris's "The Role-Playing Game Primer: and Old-School Playbook" (very good by the way); all of which was about $60 delivered. My brother-in-law, who is one of my players, has also purchased several of the books.

Its enough material for years worth of play. I'm hoping, in the future, that I can meaningfully add to the available material.

They arrived last Monday and I'm enjoying them immensely.

Another thing I've done, with the PDFs, is print out the entire core rulebook, hole punched the pages and mounted groups of them in report covers like these: https://www.staples.com/Oxford-Clear-Fr ... uct_591586

The report covers, which I just happened to have a box of, are broken down as follows:

Available to everyone during play:

1. Front Cover through the end of Section 2 which contains races, classes, character creation and equipment.
2. Section 3: Spells
3. Section 4: The Adventure and Section 5: The Encounter

Available only to me, the GM, during play:

4. Section 6: Monsters
5. Section 7: Treasure
6. Section 8: GM Information and OGL.

This makes it very quick to find the right reference material when you do need to look something up at the table. And it doesn't need to be me doing the looking unless its in one of the GM's references.

Also, when I'm running an adventure/dungeon, I print out the map(s) and room/area descriptions so I can write on them, which makes it easy to know what has been encountered and what has not from session to session, without marking up any of the purchased books. I found this suggestion somewhere else on these forums.
I travel through space and time on a giant blue and white marble.
drsoggy

Post by drsoggy »

“The Role-Playing Game Primer: and Old-School Playbook”

Awesome! I wasn’t aware of this book. Is this available in pdf or print only?
nemolomen

Post by nemolomen »

Please see the following post regarding “The Role-Playing Game Primer: and Old-School Playbook”.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1142&p=40391&hilit= ... mer#p40391
drsoggy

Post by drsoggy »

That was a bad link, but that’s okay. I don’t mind getting the print version. I was really just looking to browse before purchasing. What exactly does the book include? I have some experience with RPGs, but nothing prior to AD&D 2nd Edition and no experience as GM. Would this book be suited for me?
nemolomen

Post by nemolomen »

The way I see it, the book is broken down into 3 parts.

The first part is an introduction to RPGs by way of a conversation between the GM and the players while starting a new adventure and is very new-player oriented.

The second part is practical info for players regarding the playing of adventures in the "Old School" style. Very informative.

The third part deals with GM stuff, including making a map for a dungeon and populating it.

I've been playing RPGs for at least 35 years and wish I had this book way back then. Having read it has, in my opinion, made me a better GM and given me the critical information that my players really need to understand in order to play well.

I also highly recommend the Angry GM blog article regarding travel in the wilderness, which I had been feeling stressed about. Now I have a formula to play with.

https://theangrygm.com/getting-there-is-half-the-fun/
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

drsoggy wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:19 pm “The Role-Playing Game Primer: and Old-School Playbook”

Awesome! I wasn’t aware of this book. Is this available in pdf or print only?
Print from Amazon, and both print and PDF from Lulu.