2 Questions

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Dimirag

Re: 2 Questions

Post by Dimirag »

Even if he's running everywhere, there is a 10% chance that he is seen and a 20% that he is heard, also, lots of monsters are "immune" to backstabbing, and there are other monsters that don't rely on sight...
If the Thief is running I would increase his chances of being heard, if he has the elven boots on, I would cancel its power unless slowly walking as they emulate the Move Silently skill.

They are very good items, to good for a 3rd level thief
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Dimirag wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 pm Even if he's running everywhere, there is a 10% chance that he is seen and a 20% that he is heard, also, lots of monsters are "immune" to backstabbing, and there are other monsters that don't rely on sight...
If the Thief is running I would increase his chances of being heard, if he has the elven boots on, I would cancel its power unless slowly walking as they emulate the Move Silently skill.

They are very good items, to good for a 3rd level thief
He picked them up from the old Thunderift adventure Assault on Ravens Ruin.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

That's a basic d&d adventure right?
From what I've read, that cloak stops hiding the character if the attacks or moves swiftly and requires 1 turn until it can be activated again.
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Dimirag wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:46 am That's a basic d&d adventure right?
From what I've read, that cloak stops hiding the character if the attacks or moves swiftly and requires 1 turn until it can be activated again.
The BFRPG version has no restrictions on either. The B/X Elven Cloak requires 1 turn before being activated again while the Elven Boots don't appear to require any roll whatsoever.

BFRPG

Elven Boots: These soft boots enable the wearer to move quietly in virtually any surroundings, granting a 90% chance of success when moving silently (as the Thief ability of the same name).
Elven Cloak: This cloak of neutral gray cloth is indistinguishable from an ordinary cloak of the same color. However, when worn with the hood drawn up around the head, the wearer becomes nearly invisible, granting an 80% chance that the wearer can move about unnoticed. If detected by onlookers, the wearer can be attacked without significant penalty.

B/X

Elven Boots: The wearer of the boots is able to move silently.
Elven Cloak: The wearer of the cloak is rendered almost invisible: there is only a 1-in-6 chance of being spotted. The cloak's power of invisibility is nullified for one turn, if the wearer attacks.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

He actually got a less powerful cloak, the BFRPG one should appear on adventures with higher levels.
Its a good idea to compare magical objects between games to avoid involuntary power scaling.
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Dimirag wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:17 am He actually got a less powerful cloak, the BFRPG one should appear on adventures with higher levels.
Its a good idea to compare magical objects between games to avoid involuntary power scaling.
I actually had a situation in the Chaotic Caves module where the heroes came upon some old ruins housing some orcs. In the beginning of the battle the thief tried to move into the midst of combat ahead of the party and actually failed both rolls for his cloak and boots. I was so happy. :lol: Orcs immediately charged him and I wouldn't let him activate his cloak while engaged in melee. Fortunately the other party members came to rescue just in the nic of time. I think he learned a good lesson.
cbarchuk

Sneak Attack

Post by cbarchuk »

Is only the weapon damage doubled? Or does it include magic and strength bonus? So with a 16 strength and a +1 dagger would it be 1d4+3 x 2?
Dimirag

Re: Sneak Attack

Post by Dimirag »

I've always played as doubling the weapon damage not including any magical bonus, so, instead of
(1d4+3)x2 it becomes 1d4x2+3 but other GMs can use different rulings
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Dimirag wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:59 pm I've always played as doubling the weapon damage not including any magical bonus, so, instead of
(1d4+3)x2 it becomes 1d4x2+3 but other GMs can use different rulings
That's generally been my method. It's still pretty mighty.
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I have always ruled that it is the weapon base damage only that is doubled. No magic bonus or ability mods are increased or modified.