A level 1 dwarf or halfling fighter has a219 save against spells, is that right?!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
tvance929

A level 1 dwarf or halfling fighter has a219 save against spells, is that right?!

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:40 pm

I'm building a character creator online and was just crunching numbers and realized that dwarves and halfling fighters with their bonuses would have a 21 v spells and an 18 against dragon breath just at level one... I must be doing something wrong no???
chiisu81

Re: A level 1 dwarf or halfling fighter has a219 save against spells, is that right?!

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:53 pm

(hopefully I'm interpreting the rules correctly)
Saving throw bonus(es) are added to the resulting roll, not to the to-be-beaten value. The number on the table is what needs to be rolled at or higher for the save to succeed, ie a high number on the chart means less chance of success. That's why the number goes down as character level goes up.
Metroknight

Re: A level 1 dwarf or halfling fighter has a219 save against spells, is that right?!

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:41 am

chiisu81 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:53 pm (hopefully I'm interpreting the rules correctly)
Saving throw bonus(es) are added to the resulting roll, not to the to-be-beaten value. The number on the table is what needs to be rolled at or higher for the save to succeed, ie a high number on the chart means less chance of success. That's why the number goes down as character level goes up.
It is how I have it work in my games. You get a d20+racial mods+ability mods (if applicable)+ situational mods vs the Save number.
Knights of the Written Word 2 is a friendly Roll20 community created for those that prefer written text games or have difficulty with voice games (for physical, mental, emotional, or technical reasons).
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:00 am

You add the save modifier to the d20 roll, yes.

And keep in mind to read over page 52 of your rulebook carefully, assuming you are using the third and current edition of BFRPG. Ability modifiers do affect some saves in this system. Don't short yourself at a critical moment. For instance, a high CON score will give you a better chance of staving off poisons.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:44 am

According to the rules as written, you add the bonus to the die roll.

However, I subtract the bonus from the target number. The numbers are made to work out correctly either way.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
tvance929

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:46 pm

GOT IT! Thanks!!! So if I have a "+4" thats basically 4 to the roll to get over ( OR -4 to the required roll) ... so maybe on this creator app im building I should state the saving throw and ( +4 ) or something like that next to it.