Why play a human?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
tvance929

Why play a human?

Post by tvance929 »

Just digging into the rules and came across the save bonuses that non-humans get which makes it seem to me that being a human is a disadvantage.

Ya I see they get a 10% xp bonus but in my head with my group Im not sure this would go over too well... plus I like to level everyone at the same time (thats the 5e stuck in me I guess) ... maybe it will be cooler to not do it that way. But I can see issues when its time to start the next campaign that is set for say "levels 4-6" or whatever and half the party is still level 3.

Anyone thought this and done anything with it? Or is it just me?
teaman

Re: Why play a human?

Post by teaman »

tvance929 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:07 pm Just digging into the rules and came across the save bonuses that non-humans get which makes it seem to me that being a human is a disadvantage.

Ya I see they get a 10% xp bonus but in my head with my group Im not sure this would go over too well... plus I like to level everyone at the same time (thats the 5e stuck in me I guess) ... maybe it will be cooler to not do it that way. But I can see issues when its time to start the next campaign that is set for say "levels 4-6" or whatever and half the party is still level 3.

Anyone thought this and done anything with it? Or is it just me?
Tvance, just a couple thoughts:

1) For my first campaign, I just leveled everyone at the same time. We were playing B/X at the time and the elves got WAY too powerful too quickly. Now I have a chart where they level by sessions and it varies for races and classes. I know it is much easier to bump everyone up at the same time, but it can be an issue at higher levels. For the lower ones, probably not as much. It's those fireballs and lightning bolts and such.

2) The gap between human/demi-human leveling becomes much more significant at higher levels. On my chart, humans may be levelling up ten or more sessions before demihumans because of the 10%.

3) From a roleplaying perspective, humans may have an easier time with social interaction in human towns and villages.

Bottom line: play a character you think will be fun and interesting. My players love to pick through the BFRPG supplements for half-orcs, barbarians, druids etc...I tell them fine, but they need to keep track of all the fiddly bits beyond the standard races and classes and it works out well.

I'm busy enough trying to kill them.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

HA! Thanks for the advice!!!
teaman

Post by teaman »

tvance929 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:45 pm HA! Thanks for the advice!!!
No problem. Welcome to BFRPG. I've been running it for years. We did B/X, Rules Cyclopedia, then settled in on BFRPG. Don't plan on moving, well, ever. At least not for running fantasy
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

Ya... since getting back into D&D for the past year and then stumbling upon this... Im so excited to get my guys to this system.
I love the simplicity! Which, I think it will add more to the realism ( oddly ) as they will be able to keep track of inventory and money and make finding treasure and getting paid more fun. We had kind of forsaken much of those details just to keep up with all the rules... this is going to be fun!
And then of course, there is the fact that BFRPG gives their stuff away, so ya... Im sold.
Ironwolf

Post by Ironwolf »

Over on the Dragonsfoot forums, Chris Gonnerman suggested giving humans anywhere from a 25% to a 50% XP bonus, and said it wouldn't unbalance the game.
Dmasterdad

Post by Dmasterdad »

I employ demi human level limits as per OD&D
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

Thank you guys!!! What is OD&D?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

tvance929 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:20 pm Thank you guys!!! What is OD&D?
Original D&D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_ ... ons_(1974)
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

Oh jeez, duh... I’m guessing O = original