Alchemist

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Snarkythekobold

Alchemist

Post by Snarkythekobold »

So, after feeling like I have mastery over the Basic Rules and having GM'ed a lot of sessions, I am starting to get comfortable and add more wrinkles into the game. I would like to add an "alchemist" type for one of my players to use. I did not see an "alchemist" in the downloads but I did see a "spellcaster." It looks basically like the same thing as an alchemist . . . is it?

On a side note, we are finishing up some time in a city campaign which has been excellent. I love the fact that many of the modules here are in Word ODT form and I can modify them. Right now, my players are doing some crazy stuff and gaining resources (and XP) in Drakeshaven as they get ready to head out to Monkey Isle. I really look forward to that!

Thanks!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Alchemist

Post by Solomoriah »

Spellcrafter. And no, not really an alchemist.

The traditional alchemist class, i.e. basically the one Bard Games made famous back in the '80's, isn't really an adventuring class... they can't take their laboratory with them, and they can't really perform their class functions without it.

I'd be curious to see an adventuring alchemist; I've no idea what that would look like.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Snarkythekobold

Eh, I'm lazy and an adult who doesn't have a lot of time . . . I will probably not come up with a new class or anything.

But I was thinking that I might have a wizard who specializes in alchemy. There is an alchemist kit in the Equipment Emporium that I could add. I thought about using some random tables to come up with stuff if a PC wants to try to make something. Maybe they find "recipes" and acquire training at Alchemist labs in cities. Whatever the case, I would want to give some high percentages for failure and some funny and maybe sometime dangerous results.

Also, with a wizard who subs in alchemy would have spells related to it like polymorph.

I also thought about giving the alchemist a small crossbow with alchemist fire tips. The effects would be a little less than thrown lantern oil or something like that.

Anyways, if anyone else has any thoughts, let me know.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Alchemists as a class are hard to do, maybe a quasi-class approach could be a good way so it can be added to a magic-user.
Based on the game rules, they should be able to:
Create potions (maybe before 7th level)
Do Magical research
They could also be able to:
Identify potions
Mix potions
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

An Alchemist class ought to let the traditional MU cross lines a bit into Clerical territory too (or other class spell/ability lists). The ability to make healing potions, barkskin salves, illusion dust, etc. should be considered, among many of the individually affecting spell or spell-like effects.

The hard part of a class that produces tangible items is controlling the rates of production, resources available, costs, etc. so as to not let such a character stockpile so much that they become unstoppable during the course of an adventure or dungeon excursion. Encumbrance and breakage rules should be strictly enforced for such a character (and his party), so that huge stockpiles cannot be practical on adventures. Alchemy items should not necessarily count as "true magic items" and the alchemist concoctions should have expiration times in place...(except perhaps at the appropriate levels where true magic items can be produced).
Jack Burton : What's in the flask, Egg? Magic potion?

Egg Shen : Yeah.

Jack Burton : Thought so, good. What do we do, drink it?

Egg Shen : Yeah!

Jack Burton : Good! Thought so.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:10 pm Alchemists as a class are hard to do, maybe a quasi-class approach could be a good way so it can be added to a magic-user.
Based on the game rules, they should be able to:
Create potions (maybe before 7th level)
Do Magical research
They could also be able to:
Identify potions
Mix potions
I rather like the idea of this as quasi-class... that way the aspiring alchemist might even be clerical (with focus on heals), MU (classic or traditionally thinking), Druids (if used), Necromancer (again, if used), among the spell casting classes floating around, or even some way to allow an intrepid fighter or thief to do some non-standard tricks with alchemy.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Snarkythekobold

By the way, the entry "Alchemist Tool kit" in the "Equipment Emporioum" (which is a killer little document!) does not say much of anything about it. Are GM's just supposed to add in what it does? Is that how old school equipment manuals worked?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Snarkythekobold wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:21 am By the way, the entry "Alchemist Tool kit" in the "Equipment Emporioum" (which is a killer little document!) does not say much of anything about it. Are GM's just supposed to add in what it does? Is that how old school equipment manuals worked?
Um... yeah, pretty much. :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Snarkythekobold

@ Solomoriah
That's alright with me. I like making my own rules and fitting it to my own play style. I hate having a ton of rules to keep up with.

I guess old school means . . . having to use your imagination and being creative.
teluria

Post by teluria »

I could see an adventuring Alchemist as more of a researcher or adventurer. Their skills would be more lore based (have to know which plants or substances are needed). Being almost a pure researcher, they would probably have very little in the way of combat skills. However they would make up for it by the use of their various oils, potions, unguents etc.

I would allow them to create bombs, potions, oils and other items that would allow them to be a bit more useful during adventures or combat. Instead of spells, they would need formulae and instructions to create their potions or other items. They would also have to either buy or find the ingredients or other components of their alchemical creations. That I think would go a long way toward limiting the power of the class.

Gnomes in my world are an entire race of researchers belonging to various schools and guilds. The Alchemist would be a nice addition to the classes available to gnomes. I have a mechanic class that specializes in traps, gadgets and construction of items that has worked out so far, thought it does need a bit of refinement.

Gnomes are very strong in research and other areas, but they suffer from absent mindedness and fascination, which means that they sometimes suffer penalties in interactions with NPCs as they are prone to drone on and on about the topic of their interest without noticing people's eyeballs glazing over. Fascination results when a gnome finds something in their area of expertise but completely ignores their surroundings. "What do you mean there are hobgoblins nearby? This is a perfect example of a fossil of a red throated bortwiddler, thought to have gone extinct in the year 344 of the Gringlockian Empire. I must get a sample. Now where did I put my equipment?"
Plagiarism is the sincerest form of Appreciation