Reaction Rolls

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Snarkythekobold

Reaction Rolls

Post by Snarkythekobold »

Recently, I have been employing the Lazy DM's technique of coming up with three hooks (along with three adventures/ tasks) and three main NPC's per session (they don't have to be new NPC's but there may be something new that they are doing/ interested in/ etc.).

Anyway, this is creating a lot more NPC interactions (which is fun for all of us playing). I have forgotten about Reaction Rolls and was recently reminded of them and have been trying to utilize them more in the NPC/ monster interactions. Randomness leads to good times!

Anyways, how often do you roll reaction rolls? I am guessing NOT ever time that PC's talk to NPC's or monsters. What are your personal rules and practices for reaction roles?

Thanks!
Metroknight

Re: Reaction Rolls

Post by Metroknight »

Initial contact is a definite roll but other reasons could be any major change to public perceptions such save the village from an attack, completed a mission/quest, performed a villainous action, or many other things that would affect the reputation of the characters.

You could have a npc start a smear campaign against the PCs by hiring bards to travel the lands and spread false rumors about the characters. That means any npc the PCs encounter will have a negative view towards the characters before first contact (this means a penalty applied to the reaction roll).
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Just one roll the first time they met, if I don't want to make too many roll on game time, I roll beforehand for each npc and note the result, then modify it on the moment accordingly to CHA and other factors.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

I don't use them much if I already have the NPC written down. If the party starts talking to passersby, or the nameless bartender/guard/shopkeep, they get a roll on first contact, usually with a +1 modified by CHA and reputation, just so no one immediately pulls a knife or anything just because someone asked where the bathroom is. :lol:

I also use reaction rolls, when they want to gather information. I usually do something like one roll represents an hour spent gathering information, and is modified by how secret/dangerous the information is, CHA, reputaion, etc. and usually require a cost in money for each attempt.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.