Rolls to think of things

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Longman

Rolls to think of things

Post by Longman »

Some of my younger players are in the habit of asking to make Intelligence rolls to see if they can think of clues or 'work things out', when they themselves can't figure out what's going on. In a lot of modern games there's an 'Investigate' skill and I guess that's what they are looking for.

I'm reluctant to let them because I think it takes the deduction out of the game. On the other hand, they are often playing characters who are smarter than they are. Also, their characters can see and understand things that they can't themselves, maybe because my description of scenes or events was limited. So I can see some reasons to let them do it.

Do any of you allow 'Deduction' rolls when you play BFRPG or other old school games?
SmootRK

Re: Rolls to think of things

Post by SmootRK »

Sometimes I do exactly that, using the BFRPG ability roll mechanic.... and I do this exactly for the sort of reasons you mention. Namely, character is MU with exceptional intelligence, but sometimes played by someone who is not necessarily a genius himself or is young and simply lacks practical experience or knowledge. It really is a situation where the character ought to have a good chance of knowing the information, regardless of the actual player realizing it.

I don't find such rolls to be out of place any more than a character who is attempting a feat of strength, even though the player doesn't even work out (Bro, do you even lift??). If the character has a good Strength score, then there ought to be a chance.

Certainly, there is going to be other opinions on this that say "no way".
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Sure let the dice roll. Those are excellent reasons and there are plenty more but I would not just hand the player the full answer but instead feed them more clues and hints so that when they finally solve it, they will feel empowered and start applying how they figured things out in real life.

Tell someone the answer to a problem and they will never learn.
Teach someone how to think outside the box to solve a problem and they will always have that skill for the rest of their life.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Physical abilities tend to have more rolls than mental or social ones, so, using them for rolls balance things in a certain level.

For rolls I would use them only for complicated things, if the character due to his or her INT score (and maybe considering race, class, level, etc) should know something, then don't roll, even if it's just a clue, for other things I would go with a d6 roll similar to opening doors, or, if level is important an ability roll (with a bonus if the class matter)
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
GMsShadow

Post by GMsShadow »

This is something I've allowed my players to do not just in this system but also in others. I always think it's worth letting the players try and shine if they can work it out. But if that fails then let them roll. As you have mentioned yourself, if the character is meant to be clever then let them be.

Ultimately this kind of thing is an agreement between your players and you as the GM. Do what makes the game fun and what you all agree works. It's the fun of having a GM and not a computer programme.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If I allowed it, I'd do it like I do reaction rolls... the player can't just say "I roll to think of something," but rather must describe (i.e. role-play) his or her character's attempts to deduce. Do they do research? Look all over the thing they're trying to figure out? Even then, I wouldn't give an answer, but just a clue; further, I'd make the roll myself, and if it was particularly bad I'd give a false hint. Either way, the game moves forward...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
teaman

Post by teaman »

I use it a lot when players ask if they know some background information about the world:

"Have I ever heard of the Order of Harmony? Do I know anything about them?"

Obviously the player won't be able to read my mind, so in those cases I sometimes ask for an Intelligence or Wisdom check.

Or I just tell them if it seems reasonable and helps move things along. Can't goof around all night.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Longman

Post by Longman »

"further, I'd make the roll myself, and if it was particularly bad I'd give a false hint."

Thanks. This is the answer, I think. Any dice roll needs to have a potential negative consequence as well as a positive one otherwise there's no risk.