Are critical hits too powerful?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
wolfstriked

Are critical hits too powerful?

Post by wolfstriked »

IMO critical hits ruin a game where dropping to zero hit points means your character is dead.Yes its great to crit an enemy but having your character die many times to a crit just sucks.In other RPG's that are less deadly critical hits work as your team can rise when dropped while enemies cant.

So how to make critical hits not so powerful is to simply make them a full damage attack.When you roll a 20 its a great feeling but then you roll damage and you might just roll a 1.In game logic you just made a superb attack and yet fate decides on how much damage you did?

TLDR;Rolling 20 is automatic full damage.Maybe a system where you roll crits on a 19 and 20 when you reach a certain amount of AB could also work here.....
wolfstriked

Re: Are critical hits too powerful?

Post by wolfstriked »

Where are my manners Jeeez! Thank you to all who make this wonderful rules set for us for free :mrgreen:
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Maybe this can help you: viewtopic.php?t=805
Last edited by Dimirag on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
wolfstriked

Post by wolfstriked »

I see its already been suggested though slighly different.For my game I will run a roll of 20 as full damage(perfect hit) and every. 6 BAB I will adjust crit range by one so that at lvl 18 I am criting at 20%,for me and enemies.

As for roll 1 fumbles its too complicated IMO.I really like 5E's advantage/disadvantage system.On a roll20 I roll advantage on next attack and roll1 disadvantage on next attack for both sides.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I apparently think they're too powerful, since I didn't include them in the Core Rules... :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
wolfstriked

Post by wolfstriked »

I swore first read thru of rules and didnt see anything on crits.So a roll of 20 does nothing?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

A natural 20 always hits, even if you cannot otherwise hit the target AC. Nothing else.
wolfstriked

Post by wolfstriked »

I will still do full damage on crits but I really like that you have removed the critical hit dynamic.And I was sold when I did not find one mention of my immersion nemesis the unarmed fighter.Monks or whatever u call them for me just does not blend.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

wolfstriked wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:52 pm And I was sold when I did not find one mention of my immersion nemesis the unarmed fighter.Monks or whatever u call them for me just does not blend.
While they are not in the core rule book, there is a supplement or two variants of your nemesis.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I think he's saying he DOESN'T want them. :D