Are critical hits too powerful?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
chiisu81

Re: Are critical hits too powerful?

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:02 pm

In an OSR RPG any hit is critical :)
wolfstriked

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:32 pm

HAha yeah I found monks to be my pet peeve.In a world of armor and steel we have a guy punching instead. :lol: I did find somewhere that said if you punch a character in a metal armor you take damage instead and it made me smile!
chiisu81 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:02 pm
In an OSR RPG any hit is critical :)
New school RPG's I build my characters around damage and constitution is always where I place points as afterthought.Newest fighter in BF rolled with STR 9,INT 9,WIS 10 but with DEX 17 CON 16 and CHA at 13 and I feel elated!Fighter proficiency point into shield and while he may not hit hard or be a great tactician his defense is great! :mrgreen:
orobouros

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:31 am

Incidentally, the Monk class I came up with was the only one capable of punching and kicking armor without taking damage. Overall they weren't quite as effective as a regular fighter (by design). But they didn't wear armor, don't need weapons (and thus can't be disarmed), and I let them combo their attacks (to make up for the lack of magic weapons).
teaman

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:49 pm

We used to call the monk in my game "The Blender." He just tore through opponents in a round or two and that was that.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at drivethrurpg.com. (Soon he'll be able to purchase the name brand peanut butter!). Come take a look if you have some time.

http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
wolfstriked

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:34 am

I play rpg's solo so I just never included them :lol: I see it as to each their own and I know from reading many posts online that the monk is a very loved class.

BTW....didnt wanna start a new thread for a simple question so Ill post here.I defeated some bandits who were on horse back but when I tried to find the overland speed while on horse back its nowhere that my eyes can see.

Also,say I wanna sell some items I find to a merchant.What is the percentage that they buy for?Or this this just a homebrew thing where I can choose an amount myself?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:09 am

Overland movement rates are in the Adventure section of the Core Rules.

There's no standard for what you can sell items for, but generally GMs I know will have merchants offer no more than 1/2 the sale price of an item when they buy it used.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
wolfstriked

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:23 am

Perfect,thanks.
Dimirag

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:01 pm

wolfstriked wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:34 am
Also,say I wanna sell some items I find to a merchant.What is the percentage that they buy for?Or this this just a homebrew thing where I can choose an amount myself?
Selling things is mostly a case by case situation, with the cost based on if the item is rare, ancient, in good shape, etc.
The purchaser is another matter...

The 1/2 price rules is a fast and common one, you can, if you wish to make item commercialization a big part of the game, use more rules like item quality
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/martin.dimirag/
wolfstriked

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:57 pm

Yeah I like the 1/2 rule and coming from Skyrim its really nice. In Skyrim you can buy a sword for like 500gp and sell it back for 10gp. :lol: its understandable as combat encounters are at ridiculous levels in games like that.

EDIT btw I am enjoying watching this youtube site that plays basic fantasy and just posting it here if nobody has seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPyFZI ... jhQ/videos