"Floating Orb Monster with One Big Eye and Lots of Small Eyes"

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
WARDUKE

"Floating Orb Monster with One Big Eye and Lots of Small Eyes"

Post by WARDUKE »

Hi all,

I didn't see any forum rules that this might violate, if it does, please delete the post.

Even though the familiar monster I speak of is not in the SRD (and able to be put out in any official capacity), I wanted to ask - Has anyone here converted the Beholder over to BFRPG for their own personal use in a homebrew campaign?

If so, would you mind posting your own personal take on it?

Thank you.
Last edited by WARDUKE on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Beholder

Post by Solomoriah »

If you're an author who has a book under your name on the Downloads page, I'd prefer you abstain from answering this one directly. The Beholder is Product Identity and we can't touch it.

Those of you who have never written an OGL book are free to say whatever makes you happy.

It seems there should be a way to phrase the question that does not run the risk of an OGL violation but I'm not sure what it is.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
WARDUKE

Re: "Floating Orb Monster with One Big Eye and Lots of Small Eyes"

Post by WARDUKE »

Thanks Solomoriah.

I changed the title to remove the specific reference. Maybe that will help. :lol:
Ironwolf

Post by Ironwolf »

These monsters are in other OSR games, under various names. The Black Hack 2nd edition, for example, calls this monster a "Floating Occulus".
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

We have a Sphere of Eyes in the Field Guide. Something like that anyway.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Mr Dark

Post by Mr Dark »

In general I have converted monsters almost straight over from many sources. All you really need to do is change a few numbers like AC to make it work. If you want to get fiddly you can recalculate XP and other attributes as needed but I have rarely seen the need to.

This also works for the post 2000 game but there is a bit more math and recalculation as well as some needed trimming. My rule is to try the original source first then move to more modern systems or SRDs if needed.

Hope it helps.
Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!!
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

I run a few of my boxes sets from the late 80s and 90s using BFRPG and convert all the monsters over. Pretty simple. Even had a game with an Eye Tyrant in it that got converted.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
knottyprof2

Post by knottyprof2 »

I have started a personal project (more for my home game than anything else) of converting some of the monsters I love from older sources such as AD&D 1e and the creature that has its eye on you is one of my favorites though I have actually never used it. I know that the name is IP but is the general concept of a large bulbous creature that levitates with a large toothy maw, central eye, and bunch of eye stalks specifically IP? While mainly for personal use, if I can generate a PDF under my brand for BX, that would make it worth my while.
I am actually working on various versions such as the Rock Eater, Fire Eater, and Ice Eater. One petrifies prey with its gaze and eye stalks, one burns by firing jets of flame from its eye stalks and launching a fireball from its central eye, and one that freezes by spraying ice from its ice stalks and producing a Cone of Cold from its central eye. Basically want to create a bunch of versions with various effects and none may actually even resemble the original beastie from the world's most popular fantasy RPG.
Owner, Publisher, and Creator of the Knotty-Works.
Played the original OSR back in the 80's and never looked back, though paused a couple of times.
Kane

Post by Kane »

I've often considered a science fantasy robot called the CameraGrav which is a flying drone covered in sensor and weapon pods, each using a different type of ray beam. They were originally created by a strange alien race, which may look similar to the robot, but now their corrupted programming has turned them into creating strange fortresses for 'security'.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

knottyprof2 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:20 pm I know that the name is IP but is the general concept of a large bulbous creature that levitates with a large toothy maw, central eye, and bunch of eye stalks specifically IP?
The concept is not. As Solo mentioned above our Field Guide 1 has a similar creature, and there's also one in Labyrinth Lord AEC (it's on the cover as well).