Gauntlets of Ogre Power + Girdle of Giant Strength

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
WARDUKE

Gauntlets of Ogre Power + Girdle of Giant Strength

Post by WARDUKE »

Hi all.

Quick question:
Do the bonuses to Strength for both of these items stack?

Thank you.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Gauntlets of Ogre Power + Girdle of Giant Strength

Post by Solomoriah »

No, I wouldn't allow it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Classically, they did stack in certain game/editions.... but was weird.

So, how I would or might houserule them to work (assuming one wants to make them work together) would be to give the Giant Strength from Girdle, then up the bonus by one (or one rank) from the addition of the Gauntlets.

IE not the total sum of bonuses.. just enhanced a bit.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Both of this replace the character's natural STR bonus instead of each giving a set bonus to the original value, so, it's a "no" for me.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

That's exactly why I don't allow it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Gunthar

Post by Gunthar »

In the original game (A/D&D) they don't stack, because the items are giving a fixed STR value. The girdle have the higher STR value, therefore it overrides the lower STR value of the gauntlets.
I would not allow them to stack.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

In my own game - For purposes of combat, no. For purposes of general adventuring might (moving boulders, etc.) yes, with a save.
WARDUKE

Post by WARDUKE »

Thanks for the responses.
Chassetter

Post by Chassetter »

In the Basic version of the original rules the two items *did* stack but not in the manner you state. The Girdle gave you the same attack bonus to hit as a Hill Giant and your weapon did double it's rolled damage. The +3 bonus to hit and damage from the 18 Strength you had from the Gauntlets of Ogre Power were added on to these rolls. The Mentzer version even mentions the fact explicitly as stacking IIRC.This is how I still rule it.

These two items and if there is an entry for the Lich are the first items I check when I get a retro-clone as my favorite character back in the day was a 7th level fighter that had them and died in a TPK vs. the BBEG of the campaign (lich ported over from 1st Ed).
Chassetter

Post by Chassetter »

Another reason why I would point them as stacking is that I've always regarded the original game meant these, along with the Hammer of Thunderbolts, as an homage to Thor's belt, gauntlet and weapon. From Wikipedia:

Norse mythology, Járngreipr (Old Norse "iron grippers") or Járnglófar ("iron gauntlets"[1]) are the iron gloves of the god Thor. According to the Prose Edda, along with the hammer Mjölnir and the belt Megingjörð, Járngreipr is one of Thor's three crucial possessions. According to chapter 20 of the book Gylfaginning, he requires the gloves to handle his powerful hammer.

According to the Prose Edda, the belt is one of Thor's three main possessions, along with the hammer Mjölnir and the iron gloves Járngreipr. When worn, the belt is described as doubling Thor's already prodigious strength.

(Edit - Just read the entries for these items in AD&D 1E DMG which also states them as stacking in their entries with the hammer actually unlocking additional powers if the gauntlets and belt are worn and that Thor could throw the hammer about twice the listed ranges). While there was no Hammer of Thunderbolts in the basic line (there was a hammer that flew back to hand after thrown) I suspect something got lost in the translation from the 3rd Ed. SRD that I'm supposing BFRP is based on.