Kickstarter

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Falstaff

Kickstarter

Post by Falstaff »

Just rambling a bit...

My only complaint with BFRP is that it doesn't capture the old school feel that BX has. I know it says it cleaves toward 3.5 but for me, it's much closer to BX (and that's a positive).

I think the only thing missing from BFRP is more old school art (whatever that means).

Would you back a Kickstarter for a new BFRP offering with all new art? Even if the rules stayed the same, I'd be all over it like white on rice.
chiisu81

Re: Kickstarter

Post by chiisu81 »

Falstaff wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:03 am My only complaint with BFRP is that it doesn't capture the old school feel that BX has. I know it says it cleaves toward 3.5 but for me, it's much closer to BX (and that's a positive).
These two sentences contradict each other, I'm not sure what you're trying to say. BFRPG is most certainly old-school. Due to the OGL it does state it's based on the 3.5 SRD, but it is modeled towards earlier editions of the game (and due to the OGL we can't explicitly say which game(s) specifically.
Falstaff wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:03 am I think the only thing missing from BFRP is more old school art (whatever that means). Would you back a Kickstarter for a new BFRP offering with all new art? Even if the rules stayed the same, I'd be all over it like white on rice.
Art is nice, but it's not necessary. We only have any artwork at all thanks to the voluntary contributions of talented folks. We won't ever commission for additional art, nor run any Kickstarter/Indiegogo/Pateron/etc. to raise funds for artwork.

Basic Fantasy RPG is free, both in price (of the PDFs) and how we share the source files to make it easier for folks to contribute, modify, etc.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

My only complaint with BFRP is that it doesn't capture the old school feel that BX has. I know it says it cleaves toward 3.5 but for me, it's much closer to BX (and that's a positive).
So.. to you, its close but not close enough?
I think the only thing missing from BFRP is more old school art (whatever that means).
Would this make it feel closer to the old school art?
(whatever that means)
Are you asking for something without knowing what it is you are asking for?
Would you back a Kickstarter for a new BFRP offering with all new art? Even if the rules stayed the same, I'd be all over it like white on rice.
Big big NO from my part.
Basic Fantasy is a work of love towards the hobby, same for its art which also is a sign of respect towards Solo as a thanks for all his time and hard work put on the game.
The art may be scarce or not OSR enough, but its part of the game and forum mentality of "do it yourself"
Removing the art or add payed art is a huge sign of disrespect towards the people that followed Solo's example of free content made with love and dedication.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

I dig the art and layout.
But definitely appreciate you adding your thoughts and ideas to the community Falstaff!
Chris is pretty savvy though, and has been around the OSR community before there was a community. :lol: I bet he's thought of trying to use a kickstarter or whatever before. He's definitely got a mission/plan on how he's moving forward with BFRPG. I think this says it best:
Dimirag wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 pm...free content made with love and dedication.
Be well,
--Ron--
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Falstaff

Post by Falstaff »

chiisu81 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:49 pm
Falstaff wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:03 am My only complaint with BFRP is that it doesn't capture the old school feel that BX has. I know it says it cleaves toward 3.5 but for me, it's much closer to BX (and that's a positive).
chiisu81 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:49 pmThese two sentences contradict each other, I'm not sure what you're trying to say. BFRPG is most certainly old-school. Due to the OGL it does state it's based on the 3.5 SRD, but it is modeled towards earlier editions of the game (and due to the OGL we can't explicitly say which game(s) specifically.
For sure BFRP is old school. I'm not saying it isn't. I'm saying I'm not sure why it says it takes its cue from 3.5 because about 85% of the content is old school BX.
Falstaff wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:03 am I think the only thing missing from BFRP is more old school art (whatever that means). Would you back a Kickstarter for a new BFRP offering with all new art? Even if the rules stayed the same, I'd be all over it like white on rice.
chiisu81 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:49 pmArt is nice, but it's not necessary. We only have any artwork at all thanks to the voluntary contributions of talented folks. We won't ever commission for additional art, nor run any Kickstarter/Indiegogo/Pateron/etc. to raise funds for artwork.
Falstaff wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:03 amI didn't know the art was contributed for free. That's brilliant and I would hope that art would be kept in if BFRP went kickstarter for new art (which it evidently isn't).

chiisu81 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:49 pmBasic Fantasy RPG is free, both in price (of the PDFs) and how we share the source files to make it easier for folks to contribute, modify, etc.
Long may that continue.
Falstaff

Post by Falstaff »

Dimirag wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 pmSo.. to you, its close but not close enough?
Yes. It doesn't quite capture that old school feel for me.
Dimirag wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 pmWould this make it feel closer to the old school art?
Yes. Art is important to me. More than I realised it was. I'm not saying the art is not good. It is good. I like it. I just would like to see more art that captures the feel of old school.
(whatever that means)
Dimirag wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 pmAre you asking for something without knowing what it is you are asking for?
No.
Dimirag wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 pmBig big NO from my part.
Basic Fantasy is a work of love towards the hobby, same for its art which also is a sign of respect towards Solo as a thanks for all his time and hard work put on the game.
The art may be scarce or not OSR enough, but its part of the game and forum mentality of "do it yourself"
Removing the art or add payed art is a huge sign of disrespect towards the people that followed Solo's example of free content made with love and dedication.
Yes, it would be disrespectful. I don't want the art removed, I would like more art added to the existing art.
Falstaff

Post by Falstaff »

rredmond wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:27 pm I dig the art and layout.
But definitely appreciate you adding your thoughts and ideas to the community Falstaff!
Chris is pretty savvy though, and has been around the OSR community before there was a community. :lol: I bet he's thought of trying to use a kickstarter or whatever before. He's definitely got a mission/plan on how he's moving forward with BFRPG. I think this says it best:
Dimirag wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 pm...free content made with love and dedication.
Be well,
--Ron--
Agreed. I've bought everything from BFRP that's in print and I am looking to buy more when it's released. It's a labour of love and I am thankful for that. BFRP is the first rpg that I've bought two hard copies of (hardback and soft) so I can hand one copy to the players. First time ever. It is keeping the hobby alive and for that I am thankful.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

There will never be a Kickstarter for anything the Basic Fantasy Project produces. I just do not see the need, and I will not hold my virtual hat in my virtual hands and ask for money. Basic Fantasy RPG was bootstrapped, and everything we produce to support it will be as well.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Falstaff

Post by Falstaff »

Well, if it means maintaining the status quo concerning how BFRP is run/presented, that's me happy.