Hit Dice Question

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
NewbieSalmon

Hit Dice Question

Post by NewbieSalmon »

Hello! New lad here. I have a question about Hit Dice.

Once you level up, and roll the appropriate amount of dice, adding the result to the total HP, do you adjust the current HP as well so they're both equal? I know it sounds basic, but I can't find anything about it anywhere on the rulebook (Release 107), so my best guess is you don't, but a clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks!
"You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of
experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before
emptying the bag of luck." - Anonymous/Panzer GMT Edition
orobouros

Re: Hit Dice Question

Post by orobouros »

The modern interpretation is as follows. Every time you level up, you roll one additional HD (fighters 1d8, clerics 1d6, etc). You add the number you rolled to your total HP. You also add your CON bonus with each level. So if you have two fighters, who roll exactly the same each time at each level up, but one has a CON+1 and the other CON+2, the latter will have ten HP more at level ten.

The old school way is to also roll your 1 HD for your starting hit points. So a fighter at level 1 could have 3 HP, while a thief could have 4 (all before CON bonus). Typically these days level 1 characters start at max HP + CON bonus, just to give them a bit of a better chance. By the time you reach level 10 the statistics tend to take over and you might just want to add a fixed number of HP.

Some DMs will allow (or require) players take the average roll of their HD, rounded up, plus con, at each level. So for fighters, +5 HP, magic users +3, etc. Technically this will, in the long run, give you more HP (around 5, it's not much).

If you're playing with the oldest of grognards, you reroll your WHOLE HP set each time you level up. Which means you can technically decrease in HP, though it's unlikely.

So in short, it's however you do it. Just don't roll the current HD of dice and add that on TOP of existing HP. You'll be neigh invincible by level 5.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

You would just add it your max HP, not current HP if it's lower. I can't remember off-hand if it says so in BFRPG, but I remember in some games characters couldn't level up until they were out of the dungeon, back in safety, etc. so in those cases you'd likely be back to full health anyways.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If an injured character gains a level, I'd allow that character to add the new hit points to both max and current figures. But that's my preference. There are things not written down in the rules because the GM should choose for him- or herself.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org