Adventures and Field Guide

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Falstaff

Adventures and Field Guide

Post by Falstaff »

Are the modules J1 (Caves of Chaos), J2 (Monkey Isle), and J3 (Saga of the Giants) set in BF1 Morgansfort?

I understand they can be set anywhere, I was just wondering if they were created for BF1.

Also, do we know what was updated in the Basic Fantasy Field Guide from the hardcopy revision 29 to the pdf copy revision 31?
MinkyBoodle

Re: Adventures and Field Guide

Post by MinkyBoodle »

To the best of my understanding J1-3 are not set in Glain (the world setting for Morgansfort) as no specific locations on the map are mentioned, but instead reworkings of classic fantasy RPG adventures for use with BFRPG. However, they can all easily be incorporated into the same game world, if desired.
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Falstaff

Post by Falstaff »

Thanks Minky
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Falstaff wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:42 pm Also, do we know what was updated in the Basic Fantasy Field Guide from the hardcopy revision 29 to the pdf copy revision 31?
Many if not most of the entries are slowly being re-written by Solo. For any specifics that have been posted, start with page 74 of the Workshop thread. It's honestly been so long and having since worked on FG2 and 3 that I don't remember anything off-hand.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

MinkyBoodle wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:23 pm To the best of my understanding J1-3 are not set in Glain (the world setting for Morgansfort) as no specific locations on the map are mentioned, but instead reworkings of classic fantasy RPG adventures for use with BFRPG. However, they can all easily be incorporated into the same game world, if desired.
Not so much as re-workings, than "inspired by". JDNeal wrote all these from scratch, trying to preserve the style, tone, and general concept of the inspirational material.

Otherwise, Minky is correct. All so easy to drop in wherever is most appropriate for just about any setting.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Falstaff

Post by Falstaff »

Cool.

Just ordered BFRPG, Morgansfort, Chaotic Caves, Monkey Isle, Saga of the Giants, Basic Fantasy Field Guide, Adventure Anthology, Strongholds of Sorcery, and Fortress, Tomb and Towers.

For that price I'd be mad not to.
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

SmootRK wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:30 am Not so much as re-workings, than "inspired by". JDNeal wrote all these from scratch, trying to preserve the style, tone, and general concept of the inspirational material.
Inspired by! That's the wording I was looking for. Thanks, Smoot!
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

MinkyBoodle wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:23 pm To the best of my understanding J1-3 are not set in Glain (the world setting for Morgansfort) as no specific locations on the map are mentioned, but instead reworkings of classic fantasy RPG adventures for use with BFRPG. However, they can all easily be incorporated into the same game world, if desired.
Morgansfort is set in the Western Lands, not Glain.

The JN series are not set in any specific world, but JN1's materials can easily and profitably be combined with BF1; the two together make an excellent starter for a campaign. You can use either Morgansfort or the unnamed town from JN1 as the home base.

In my playtest campaign I set that town some distance from Morgansfort and called it Brymassen, allowing me to use AA1's "Beneath Brymassen" as an introductory adventure before moving on to the Chaotic Caves. The player characters found CC too much of a challenge and actually went to Morgansfort after one foray... where they proceeded to try to get themselves all killed in the Old Island Fortress.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org