Old School Maps

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Orpheo

Re: Old School Maps

Post by Orpheo »

I'm not sure I'll do my future maps in the same style, but it had lovely nostalgia value. The thing I found most weird was thinking in terms of 10' squares instead of 5' squares.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I did find the story of xerox'ing pretty fascinating.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Reproduction is also why BFRPG module maps are NOT blue. They don't reproduce consistently from one computer/printer combo to the next. For the same reason, BFRPG doesn't use 1E-style alternating gray bar tables.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Graybars can be tricky. When unreliable reproduction is an issue, I will err on the side of invisibility (10-30% grayshade). That way if there's a print issue, it will be towards not showing up. Alternating triads also cuts down on weird effects from edging.

On scale: When you look at all the early material, it's in 10' increments. Looking at BF, it's still in 10' increments... We like our pole-length spaces, apparently.
Go with a smile!
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Orpheo wrote:I make my maps in CC3. It nicely compensates for my absence of artistic talent.
Orpheo - inspired by your efforts I've been looking at Campaign Cartographer 3. However, whilst it's clear from the (excellent) video tutorials that it will do everything I want from an overland mapping perspective, what is less clear are its capabilities for dungeon mapping.

Did you produce your dungeon maps using the basic, standalone CC3 package only (i.e. the £29.95 one)? Or were you also using one of their associated packages such as Dungeon Designer 3?

At thirty quid, it's hardly an impulse purchase. I am tempted though, but I'd just like to make sure that if I do purchase just the basic CC3 only, it will handle both overland and dungeon mapping. Basically, I don't want to be forking out even more money for extras and add-ons to allow me to map dungeons.
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

Sorry for the late reply. I use DD3 too, but while CC3 is chiefly for campaing scale maps it has some dungeon mapping tools and all the relevant basic drawing tools. You can import art (png symbols) and there is lots of it available for free on the internet. CC3 does have a steep learning curve though and it takes time to learn how to do things and then how to do them with the most efficiency.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Thanks for the clarification Orpheo. Actually, I did take the plunge and buy CC3. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it so far (love the coastlines!). I'm fairly familiar with CAD and general design packages from my job as an engineer, so the learning curve hasn't been too bad. The YouTube video tutorials are excellent as well. I suspect I'll only be scratching the surface of its capabilities most of the time though.