What Are Your Magic-User House Rules?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Orpheo

Re: What Are Your Magic-User House Rules?

Post by Orpheo »

Yes, armour and Dex bonus apply.
theancient

Post by theancient »

Thought Magic missile always hit a die 4 +1 per level
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Um... what?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
theancient

Post by theancient »

Magic Missile always hit 1d4 +1 per lvl damage. Although the way EGG made magic most of the time I played other classes. so hope I'm not too far off the mark.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

I'm a little short on direct material, but AD&D1 lists 1d4+1, with additional missiles as you go up in level (one every 2 levels on that version). The 1d6+1 version appears in some of the other retro projects, so I assume there's a common source there.

Never missing is a constant.
Go with a smile!
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Here's a draft version of release 2.

I've added in a number of new optional rules, but I think I'll go back through this thread and see if I want to incorporate any more ideas. I am still working up example rules sets, too. Maybe I can finish this up in the next couple of weeks.

If anyone has thoughts, suggestions, etc., I'd certainly appreciate them.

UPDATE:

I've posted a second draft below, so I deleted the earlier draft file here. I've filled out some of the example rule sets, but otherwise this is the same as the version I posted last night.
Last edited by Sir Bedivere on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Here's draft b. All I've added is two example rules sets at the end. This is close to how I imagine the final version for release 2.

I still need to go through this thread and think about some of the options people mentioned and proofread the draft. I'm considering re-organizing the supplement and there is plenty of time to add more options and examples. I might have the second release out next weekend.

This thread has been very helpful, and I certainly welcome any additional feedback.

EDIT, Feb. 3, 2012: I've deleted the draft version I had here. The finished second release is here.
Last edited by Sir Bedivere on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth and general editorial work, I have finished the second release of the Magic-User Options supplement.

I didn't get everything in that I think should be there, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to spend more time on it and it's already almost twice the size of the first release, so it's time to get it out there.

I'd like to thank everyone who posted on this thread for their ideas and comments. I really appreciate your thoughts.
Master Lok

Post by Master Lok »

I love the MagicUser supplement ideas. I will definitely use some of them. Consider me an old timer, I bought the original Basic d&d when it first came out and played off and on for over 30 years. I've run many campaigns and in my experience I have never seen a magic user survive from first level to 10th level without dying. I frankly don't think it's possible unless the DM is cheating or incredibly nice.

A character starting with a staff (d6 dmg), no armor, one spell, and mere d4 hp is at best, unfair. The highest pure mage in my experience survived to 5th level before he got axed, and he only did it by hiding behind every other partymember and was handily protected by the SEVEN other characters every adventuring day.

some old house rules to give them a fighting chance:
1) max hp to start. even an extra d4 to start.
2) extra spells in the spellbook.
3) remove many low level non-combat-related spells and make them cantrips e.g. detect magic, magic mouth, read languages, ventriloquism.
4) I used to give new magicusers bracers ac8 (when ac10 was naked).

new suggestions:
1) I don't like the idea of spellcasting in metal armor, even for elf fighter-mages. For every wizard, no one could cast magic spells while wearing metal armor. if they were multi-class, i'd give them leather armor. for elves, they would have to wear elfin chain (akin to magic armor - rare find). Why? Because if the players could wear armor, then so can the monsters (i.e. NPC opponents).

2) more useful spells. I mean doesn't it make sense for the wizard school to teach some level of basic armor protection as the very second spell (first being read magic)? Does it make any sense that the wizard school would let their students go off adventuring armed with a light spell or floating disc? ('have fun storming the castle!')

My assumption is that adventuring wizards are not house wizards useful for inscribing scrolls, but I would have to think anyone with a 16 intelligence would be smart enough to prepare themselves for combat in every possible fashion, including studying combat oriented spells.

p.s. I love the arcane bolt idea.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

OMG, its Master Loche!! Ummm, I'm sorry Doughbert hasn't been to temple lately, but I promise as soon as he gets to Westport he will go to pray at the temple and leave something for you as well.