Debate grammar in this thread

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Debate grammar in this thread

Post by Solomoriah »

Y'know, I'm slow. I just realized that Chi split this off of the Style Guide thread. Good idea, getting the curmudgeon (me) out of his thread.

:D

Back when I started this project, very close to 13 years ago now, I had no idea we'd ever have a style guide. We wouldn't, either, if Chi hadn't created it, and he did that by inferring my style from the various works of the project. I seem to remember him asking a few questions, but mostly it was just a result of his work in analyzing my work. He's done an amazing job, and should be commended.

He's also had to put up with me... which he should get a medal for, I'm sure.

I was actually against a style guide at one point. When the project was small, and I did most of the editing and all of the layout, I felt I should avoid prescribing a style for people to use for their submissions, for fear that they would not bother to submit materials. Instead I just silently hammered each submission into my standard format. And naturally, the format has evolved a bit over the years, so the older works look and work differently than the new ones.

But with Chi taking over a lot of the proofing/editing and some of the layout, yeah, there needed to be a document explaining how we do things and why. To a large extent, my rules are based on experience running games, and yes, they do result in books that may work better for me than for other people. How the monster stats are presented is just part of it... the fact that I keep all monster stats in a module at the ends of the descriptive keys is also a rule. But I still try not to tell people how their works should look when they are submitted; I don't want to discourage people. Those who care enough to ask, though, can now just download Chi's Style Guide and/or the Adventure Template and have all the info they need.

For the record, jmhimara, I do understand your position, and I hope I haven't come across too strongly. I don't consider the space issue a matter of heresy, for example. If you're into Basic Fantasy RPG, you're welcome here.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
jmhimara

Post by jmhimara »

For the record, jmhimara, I do understand your position, and I hope I haven't come across too strongly.
Oh no, not at all. It's not very often that I get to debate the finer points typography with someone. And for all I know, there's no right answer to the question. As in most arts, there's no objective measurement that can be made.

I was asking about LaTeX because I've been wondering for a while whether TeX is a good system to typeset an RPG. With all the complex layout and graphic requirements that most RPGs have, I don't know if it'd be a good system. It wouldn't be impossible, but it might not be worth the effort. The only RPG I know that has used LaTex is For Gold and Glory (a 2nd edition clone), and I can't say I'm a big fan of the design.
hakuchi

Post by hakuchi »

This has been quite interesting to follow typohead I am.

I don't really have anything to add for the Frenchspacing thing nor other choices.

But what I have to say about the LaTeX is what solomoriah said already. LaTeX isn't the best choice for this kind of project for the reasons mentioned. Even though you make very very good templates and all that good stuff, there is still learning curve that is too high for many and would be blocker for contributing.

Using LaTeX isn't completely out of question if one is doing editing and layout by ones self and that also can be done well or not so well. jmhimara mentioned For Gold and Glory, which was new title to me, and said it's layout isn't his liking.

Wellm I took a glance since it was freely downloadable as PDF. And I have to say, it's layout flaws has nothing to do with LaTeX. There are just people how don't have a eye for graphic design and typography and such.

Results would have been the same regardless the means it was made. Mostly there seemed to be quite a lot those big blobs of text that makes Jack a dull boy. Paragraph intend are ok, since they kinda work to create "oldish" look and such. And those pictures... I'm not going to go into that here. Nor any where else for that matter :D

Anyway, keep up the good work! It's excellent that people are doing and not just picking their noses!
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

Even in the digital age, I stick with the "two-spaces" rule for a simple reason. The symbol for "that was an abbreviation" and "the sentence has ended" ought to be different. Dot-space means the preceding symbols were an abbreviation of some sort; dot-space-space means the preceding was a grammatical sentence.

But I can see why "dot-space" for both has merit. But I'll never give up the distinction between plural and singular.
bobcatt

Post by bobcatt »

Just skimmed through the Style Guide on the off chance I wish to write up an adventure. Love the Oxford comma, but I've never been keen on two spaces after a full stop (period). Not a big deal; I'll get used to it. I've also downloaded the LO template.

My one question stems from the dice notation section - do you prefer to see a percentile roll indicated as d100, d00, or d%? I recall that in the very early days, the terms "%age" or "%ile" had been suggested.

(other) Chris
--- playing AD&D since 1980, former class clown ---
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

d% is preferred in most cases. It really depends on how you're using it. If it's a roll against a given percentage, it should be written d%; if it's a roll where the number itself matters (like the damage done by Khaadk if he's freed in BF2) then it's 1d100.

Tables with percentile distributions should be written kind of like this:

Code: Select all

Roll d%   Result
01-25      Cat
26-70      Dog
71-00      Rat
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

By the way, you just gained a level as a Thread Necromancer. Congratulations!

:D
bobcatt

Post by bobcatt »

LOL, thanks.

I've collected the fonts required by the Style Guide. I'll take my cues from the existing Adventures.
--- playing AD&D since 1980, former class clown ---
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Carefully place soap box on the floor with the bottom up. Stand up on the box and state the following:
My editing training was in college, while I was working on my BA in Mass Communications. One of my textbooks was Strunk and White: Elements of Style, I think I have it stored someplace. Since the course was on writing for newspapers, double space after the end of a sentence was mandatory. That's what I was taught, that is what I use. I do realize with modern computer publishing, especially being able to use justified text in the columns, can even adjust the double spaces to an en space, I still use the double space and always will out of habit.

Thank you for your time.

Get down from soap box and taking it with me.