What is a spellbook worth?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
CptMuffinCubes

What is a spellbook worth?

Post by CptMuffinCubes »

Let's say my PCs recovered an NPC's spellbook. It contains 1st and 2nd level spells, 3 of each. How much would this typically sell for under normal circumstances? I couldn't find a rules reference. Thanks.
Dimirag

Re: What is a spellbook worth?

Post by Dimirag »

I would say that if you sell a spellbook you wrote, you would want at least the money you spend on it, but the final cost should be set by the seller, now, we can consider:
-A 128 page Spellbook costs 25gp
-Each spell cost 500gp per level to transcribe
--3 1st level, 3 2nd level and 3 3rd level spells: 3x1+3x2+3+3 = 18 levels: 9000gp

9025gp would be the total cost not including ink
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

But cost isn't sale price; it would depend on what spells were in the book, who you were selling to, and how rare or common such items are in your game world. This is why it's not in the rules.

And for the record: A good GM never tells a player what an item is worth. Never, ever, ever. NPCs make offers, based on their appraisal of an item and of the seller, but the GM should never admit to the actual value. Gems, magic items, spellbooks, whatever, never tell the player what it's "worth."
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
CptMuffinCubes

Post by CptMuffinCubes »

Wow! Then that spellbook found in the haunted house of U1 might be worth a pretty penny if the players can find a suitable buyer. If they didn't feel like they were getting good market value, maybe the could host an auction as a roleplaying opportunity.

I appreciate the input.