Hitting multiple Opponent with one swing

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
mjhyke

Hitting multiple Opponent with one swing

Post by mjhyke »

Are there any rules for a person to hit more than one opponent with one swing. Such as a human fighting a bunch of Kobolds or a Giant fighting a bunch of human and swinging his club down the line.

So a large creature fighting a bunch of smaller creatures. The other example is a human using a two handed sword against a line of humans.

There would be issue of what you need to hit the 2nd or 3rd creature in the line and the when the attack would stop. Also you might hit your own side or imbed the two handed weapon into a wall if fighting in a dungeon with limit room to swing it.

Just was curios if we had any rules for this type of combat.
thanks
Dimirag

Re: Hitting multiple Opponent with one swing

Post by Dimirag »

Not per the core rules, one attack is what you get, don't remember if that option is in the combat option supplement...

I've seen it done different (but similar) ways on different games.
1-You make an attack roll, if you hit, roll damage, if you kill your opponent the same attack roll is compared to an adjacent opponent and if its a hit any excess damage from the previous attack goes to him, if you kill it, repeat. (This mostly works on games where you can do more damage to creatures with lower HD that you).
2-You make an attack roll, if you hit, roll damage, if you kill your opponent the same attack roll with a penalty is compared to an adjacent opponent and if its a hit you roll damage, if you kill it, use the modified attack roll with a new penalty against another opponent.
3-Other use a variation on the extra attack rule but with only one attack roll.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
orobouros

Re: Hitting multiple Opponent with one swing

Post by orobouros »

I think this depends on what kind of game and what kind of DM you are. Are you more narrative focused? Then I think it's fine to allow it assuming the player can describe how it would work and what their character is trying to do, with the dice giving the final say. If you're like me and more mechanics oriented, I'd allow it only if there's a very substantial size difference between opponents or you have some kind of special magical weapon that allows it. (Think "arrow of infinite penetration" or something.)