Quick Initiative Question

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
WARDUKE

Quick Initiative Question

Post by WARDUKE »

Hi all,

Just downloaded the PDF and was looking through the combat rules.

I noticed that characters add their Dexterity bonus to Initiative. Monsters don't have DEX, and I didn't see anything that listed an Initiative Bonus for them. Does that just mean that high DEX is a character-only advantage to Initiative?

Thanks!
Metroknight

Re: Quick Initiative Question

Post by Metroknight »

That is partially correct. As I read it, Halflings get a racial bonus, high dex get a bonus, specific spells induce bonuses and many other situational modifiers but monsters do not get a bonus. In fact there is one sentence on page 44 that enforces this thought "This roll is adjusted by the character's Dexterity bonus.".

With that said, I have used a simple houserule for monsters before. Half their HD is their initiative bonus.

I have also just changed the initiative dice type to a d10 for games instead of using the that houserule so it still falls in line with the spirit of the written rule.. That change expands the range and gives monsters a slightly more chance of getting the drop on the characters.
WARDUKE

Post by WARDUKE »

Thanks Metro.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The GM is always in the right to assign bonuses or penalties to monsters as he or she sees fit. I usually go +2 for pixies and sprites, and I've been known to give kobolds and goblins a bonus. Just because I didn't write it in the rulebook doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org