Question about BFRPG wilderness maps

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Snarkythekobold

Question about BFRPG wilderness maps

Post by Snarkythekobold »

I asked this in a thread but thought that I would ask it here as well.

I have noticed that all of the wilderness maps in the BFRPG modules are the same format. I really like this format and would like to duplicate it in my own maps. Is there program that is used (I noticed that all of the trees, etc. look the same) . . . or are they drawn with a program such as Photoshop or Gimp?

Like I said, I really the simplicity of the maps but I also appreciate how easy they are to run in a session. I would love to be able to duplicate these maps.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Question about BFRPG wilderness maps

Post by Solomoriah »

They aren't all the same, though. J.D. Neal did his own maps, which are quite nice, often given both in hex and square format. My maps in Morgansfort were done by me, and are in a slightly different style. I think J.D.'s are maybe a little nicer to actually use than mine.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Snarkythekobold

Thanks. I love his maps.

I plan on getting a drawing tablet soon and I guess I will draw them on that. J.D.'s are really nice and I appreciate how easy it is for the GM to use them.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I've done all mine by hand; for some reason I like doing so for wilderness maps.
Snarkythekobold

I've just started doing all mine by hand too.

I wanted my maps to look more professional and mimic the ones found in BFRPG material, specifically J.D. Neal's stuff. But messing around looking at a computer screen is something that I am trying to do less of these days.

I found some printable black and white graph paper that looks really good and I use that now. Hand drawn allows me to add in specific details and it's quicker. And hey, it's fun to draw!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I've been known to do hybrid maps. Draw the outlines, scan the map, then add grid, clone trees and features, etc. That's how the small-scale Morgansfort map was done.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Olgabelle

Post by Olgabelle »

My advice is keep it simple. Some of the modern (5e or Pathfinder or whatev) maps are pretty, but a basic black and white with easy to read grid or hexes is a lot nicer in play.