Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
caledoniaman

Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Post by caledoniaman »

Good morning. I'm DMing for 24 hours straight for charity and I'm running a lot of different games in different systems. My players are very interested in playing the old "U1 - Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh" adventure from 1e, just to change things up from Dungeon Crawling to Scooby Doo. However, I've no intention of running 1e so I'd like to run this using BFRPG. I have a couple of questions:
  • Does that sound feasible? Presumably it will convert easily enough.
  • Timing is obviously an issue. I'm trying to fill 24 hours. I don't want to run over or under, so I need to know how long a particular module will take. Has anyone run this? How long did it take to run through?
Many thanks for your help.
Metroknight

Re: Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Post by Metroknight »

It has been many, many years since I've ran it but what I can remember is:

It will take about 4 to 6 hrs, more if the party goes combat heavy with miniatures. This was with 1e but BFRPG is easier and typically quicker for it's combat.

You can convert the listed monsters or just pull the stats from the core rules. The main thing to convert is the AC, the rest can be used mostly as is and instead of THACO, you just use +1 per HD for the Attack Bonus. HP you can just leave the same as it is close to core rules. The saves, most monsters save as a Fighter (hd=level) but you can just double check the save tables.

If you can, scrounge up a few other modules so you can link them together. This will give you your 24hr run.
chiisu81

Re: Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Post by chiisu81 »

Yeah I'd say even if you run a large hexcrawl with multiple encounters/adventures and goings-on in a village/town/city you're gonna need a lot of material, depending on how much small talk, breaks, etc. you factor in. I would look through AA1 and AA2 as well, or if you're giving out pregens then they can try to get through BF3.