General Questions about Weapons/Equipment Emporium....

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Hywaywolf

Re: General Questions about Weapons/Equipment Emporium....

Post by Hywaywolf »

Oh, I dig your point. It has everything from potions to tack to cooking pots to spinning wheels. I picture a big bizarre type place but if you don't have weapons prominently displayed somewhere on a cover photo for an equipment emporium it will be less of an attraction for many gamers. I think the one I loggerhead over done with weapons and if I could draw i would draw my perfect cover. Alas and alack my cover would have to be mainly stick figures and noonish forms

That Turkish bizarre pic looks like a flea mall to me though. It has horse tack on the foreground, a click on a pedestal in the back, lant erns, crockery, vasea, potions, and who knows what else further back. It just needs that medieval European feel of your pic
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I've got an image in mind, but I'm not an artist. A building like one found on Diagon Alley in the Harry Potter movies, two stories tall with a store front and four picture windows, armor in one, a ball gown on the other window of the ground floor, weapons and camp equipment on the two second floor windows. The buildings side image would have a sign above a 2nd story window that reads "Giants order here". The side wall of the building then just stretches into the distance seemingly going to the horizon going up and down with the land. I was going to have my daughter try her hand at it, but she is having trouble with the scaling.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

This is a "shop" that I created in response to Shonuff's contest on Dragonsfoot. I had gone to Batteries R Us that day and thought how weird it would be to have stores like that in a campaign setting. This is what I imagine an emporium would look like, only with more than just Wicks lol.

(SHOP)

Price of goods: 1/5 coins for in stock items, 5/5 for special orders
The Place: Wicks-R-Us (alternatively - Wicked Pleasures)
The Owner: Capillary Waxman

100's of wicks for 100's of items. If you need a Wick, Wicks-R-Us will have it. Whether its for dragon oil lanterns or simple candle stubs, you will find it here. If it isn't stocked their special team of adventurers will find it for a reasonable stocking fee. A recent special acquisition was a flat braided wick made from the hair of a shreaking sea Hag. For the right price, any Wick will be procured.

Capillary Waxman, an excommunicated dwarf cleric and wick expert, has the knowledge and expertise to go along with an extensive offering of top quality products and services. His extended family and the adventuring teams breadth of line, knowledge, and service differentiate it from all other providers of wicks.

Wicks-R-Us is a rambling 2 story structure constructed by purchasing adjoining buildings and knocking doorways between the shops or building covered walkways above the alleys. The ground floor is a maze of rooms each lit by multiple flaming candles and lanterns in exotic shapes and sizes. On this floor are the showrooms containing various wicks and lanterns as well as several offices for waxman and his workers. There are multiple entrances provided egress from the busy front street as well as from the dark and shadowy alleys. It would seem that it would be easy to enter and exit unobserved but the family of dwarfs that work there know everything that happens. Some, skilled thieves who accompany the adventuring parties, will even steal back whatever might be stolen along with a significant restocking fee.

The warren of rooms upstairs serve as the dwelling place of Waxmans family. Here will be found the typical sleeping quarters, rec rooms, libraries, kitchens and wash rooms (hanging over the alleys) necessary for comfortable living. Beneath the ground floor is series of cellars turned into labs, warehouses and testing rooms as well as cages and cells containing the beast used to create their wicks and wax.