Morgansfort Encounter size

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
lstewart4

Morgansfort Encounter size

Post by lstewart4 »

I am looking to run Basic Fantasy for the first time with new players. The adventure Morgansfort says it's for 2-8 players, does that mean that when running, if I have to say, 4 players, I should cut the encounter sizes in half? Seems every encounter would be TPK if run as is with level 1 players.
GM Parseth

Re: Morgansfort Encounter size

Post by GM Parseth »

Always play by ear myself, I would say cutting down some of the numbers of monsters is fine. Remember that not every encounter is going to be "fair" just like in real life but there are always methods for helping to level the field (retainers, morale rolls, etc).
Working on - The Fallen City & The Baroness of Blood
Hexamer47

Post by Hexamer47 »

You could start with tales of the laughing dragon first and then lead in to morgansfort, olde island fortress. That will get the first level PC's some xp under the belt.

But if you want to start with the morgansfort module, you could level the playing field by starting all PC's with 2500xp and giving max hit points. This will make everyone 2nd level (3rd for thief) and give them a better chance at survival.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Remember hirelings and retainers are always an option to beef up a low level party.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I went with 3000 XP when I ran Olde Island Fortress a few months ago. Worked pretty well.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org