Help finishing up an adventure

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Snarkythekobold

Help finishing up an adventure

Post by Snarkythekobold »

I am the GM and my group is about to finish up a long overarching meta narrative that will have two of their own party (from a very large group) become possessed and the challenge will be to destroy the enemy who has possessed the two without killing those possessed.

Who would be a good monster who does such things as possesses (some sort of non-corporeal being I would think)? The party averages around 6th level.

Also, what would be some creative ways to destroy the possessor without harming those possessed? I would like to think of several ways to do it . . . and I am sure that they will think up some of their own (they are very imaginative).

This is wrapping up a 30+ hour campaign filled with plot twists and intricate little details. It's been amazing how easy it is to connect stuff and how simple stuff as wandering monster rolls can add new twists. It's a mix of made up adventures and modules.

Thanks!
GM Parseth

Re: Help finishing up an adventure

Post by GM Parseth »

It could be a ghost, some kind of a demon, or other malevolent spirit. I would say stat the enemy up yourself since you would be able to build the thing to better face the capabilities of the party.
Working on - The Fallen City & The Baroness of Blood
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Although possession is more common among demons, ghost and spirits, it can be anything you think will be good for the game, from dragons to magicians or mystical creatures.

The ways of ending the possession can be very different and depend on the situation, if the idea is to end it right there, maybe attacking with fire at a -4 so that they don't get hit but the proximity of the fire will "hurt the creature" (make a saving to negate the damage), if their attack roll would hit without the penalty then they hit their companions.

Using non-combat methods can work but the players will need the time to research it or the luck to discover it.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Snarkythekobold

Thanks for the ideas.

I ended up going with a Lich (a weaker one because the wizard who became a Lich was not very powerful and did not become one of out of his own will). I just had him use spells to hold and control ("charm" and such) the two adventurers. I made some crap up too. That's why I like BFRPG, the GM has a lot of flexibility while still staying in the rules.

The adventure ended up whacked out crazy. I sort of had to railroad the players a bit to keep them on track and I really did not like doing that. But we are moving and this was my last time playing with this group . . . and we were running out of time and I wanted to make sure that we finished everything out.

I am beginning to see that the "grand epic" adventures are hard to hold together. As the GM, you know all the intricacies but others do not. I think that is best to keep the stories simple and provide a sort of "sandbox" for your players to explore and "play" in.

Anyways, I have had sort of a crash course in this game. We have probable put in 40+ hrs over just the past 3 and a half weeks. As a parent, it's great to have face time with my own kids and his friends . . . exhausting but great.
teaman

Post by teaman »

Sounds like a great finish. And I agree, telling a grand epic is tricky.

The only thing I have found is to have something ready, and then adjust the motivation to the players' interests. I want to do a plant maze sort of adventure next, and one of the PC's wants revenge on a wizard who scarred him.

Guess who made the plant maze?

Just my two cents, but I've used it for years. You provide the maps and trappings, and then just adjust things to what they'd like to accomplish.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Snarkythekobold

Yeah, this is what I have found too. I am learning to jot down some options (characters/ stats/ scenarios and such) on a sheet and keep the story open to unfolding any way that they want it.

I have also found that the little stories found in the Anthology have been the ones that my players have enjoyed the most. I was surprised to see that interaction and exploration were enjoyed even more than the fighting action. Again, this is such a neat game that unfolds in so many different directions.

You will have to post the plan maze adventure. That sounds like something that my crew would be into.