2 questions...

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
cbarchuk

2 questions...

Post by cbarchuk »

1. Human experience bonus. Is the 10% bonus simply awarded on top of the total xp given at the end of the adventure? Or is it given with ANY xp earned during the adventure?
2. Elven Cloak. The item description says the wearer can move around practically unnoticed at an 80% chance. Does this include silent moving as well?
Metroknight

Re: 2 questions...

Post by Metroknight »

cbarchuk wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:20 am 1. Human experience bonus. Is the 10% bonus simply awarded on top of the total xp given at the end of the adventure? Or is it given with ANY xp earned during the adventure?
2. Elven Cloak. The item description says the wearer can move around practically unnoticed at an 80% chance. Does this include silent moving as well?
1: I would say all XP but do not make the mistake of awarding xp (with the bonus) during the game then turning around and adding it into the end of the session xp (with bonus) total. For most of my games I, usually, award all XP at the end of the session so that I have the total amount and the bonus XP.
Core Rules pg 6 wrote:Special Abilities: Humans learn unusually quickly, gaining a bonus of 10% to all experience points earned.
2:The elven cloak gives the wear ability to hide while moving, basically. It is not a move silently ability as that is the item just above it called "Elven Boots which give the wearer the moving silently ability.
Core Rules pg 142 wrote:Elven Boots: These soft boots enable the wearer to move quietly in virtually any surroundings, granting a 90% chance of success when moving silently (as the Thief ability of the same name)

Elven Cloak: This cloak of neutral gray cloth is indistinguishable from an ordinary cloak of the same color. However, when worn with the hood drawn up around the head, the wearer becomes nearly invisible, granting an 80% chance that the wearer can move about unnoticed. If detected by onlookers, the wearer can be attacked without significant penalty
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Thanks for the reply. So the Elven Cloak just makes you practically invisible but not silent? So if you were trying to sneak around a room full of baddies you would have to roll against the 80% to stay unnoticed as well as roll a check to make sure the baddies don't hear you as well? By the wording it seems like the cloak combines moving silently and hiding in shadows into one. "Moving around unnoticed" implies invisible and silent does it not? A monster "notices" your presence by sight or by hearing right?
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

In my opinion, most monsters notice by sight first in the same manner that IRL animals notice threats. It really falls upon the GM to make the call on what sense the monster uses for their notice. Some use their hearing, take Giant Bats for instance. Some use their smell, take Caneins for example. Others use their vision, say Humans, over any other sense to notice primarily.

If you are the GM and want the Elven Cloak to do both, then do so as it is your game. I know in my game, it functions as the hide skill that halflings and thieves use with the appropriate limitations (I treat it functioning in a manner similar to the Predator camouflage suit).
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Metroknight wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am In my opinion, most monsters notice by sight first in the same manner that IRL animals notice threats. It really falls upon the GM to make the call on what sense the monster uses for their notice. Some use their hearing, take Giant Bats for instance. Some use their smell, take Caneins for example. Others use their vision, say Humans, over any other sense to notice primarily.

If you are the GM and want the Elven Cloak to do both, then do so as it is your game. I know in my game, it functions as the hide skill that halflings and thieves use with the appropriate limitations (I treat it functioning in a manner similar to the Predator camouflage suit).
Yea that makes sense especially since the elven boots allow silent movement. I guess the moving about unnoticed part through me off.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

it just means you are hidden from view. If you walk in front of someone during a sand storm they may notice that something is blocking the wind and sand. Now I would assume that you would block the sun as well and cast shadows but someone else might assume differently.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

cbarchuk wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:20 am 1. Human experience bonus. Is the 10% bonus simply awarded on top of the total xp given at the end of the adventure? Or is it given with ANY xp earned during the adventure?
The bonus applies to any and all XP earn, its up to the GM if that XP is earned at the end of the adventure, as the adventure progresses, at milestones or by any other rate.
So the Elven Cloak just makes you practically invisible but not silent?
Yes, it does not prevents the sound of steps or any other sound that might alert your presence.
So if you were trying to sneak around a room full of baddies you would have to roll against the 80% to stay unnoticed as well as roll a check to make sure the baddies don't hear you as well?
The GM would have to make those rolls.
The MS when entering the room and the Hide when the baddies look into your general direction, which could happen at the same time as the MS or later, depending on the baddies activities.
By the wording it seems like the cloak combines moving silently and hiding in shadows into one. "Moving around unnoticed" implies invisible and silent does it not?
I take the "unnoticed" part as in not been seen, you can still be heard if you speak, step on the wrong material, etc.
A monster "notices" your presence by sight or by hearing right?
It really depends on the monster, some will depend on sight, some on smell, some on thermal, some even on non-mundane senses.
The cloak works by basically giving a Hide score of 80% and making the character to be considered as always been hiding, it does not prevents any other means of concealment.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I was going to answer, but Dimirag has done it all so well. Thank you sir!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Glad to have helped
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/