Solo campaigns?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Stefski_74

Solo campaigns?

Post by Stefski_74 »

Dear All,

Not sure if this thread exists elsewhere.....I have been using BFRP for a little while now as my rule set for solo play (live abroad and it’s difficult to get a game group together). Has anyone put together any solo campaigns/adventures already? Ideas?
Any advice would be great.
Thanks everyone :D ,

Stef
chiisu81

Re: Solo campaigns?

Post by chiisu81 »

Moved to General Discussion
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Hello and welcome to the community.

What do you mean by solo play? Just yourself or you and one other?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Metroknight wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:21 am Hello and welcome to the community.

What do you mean by solo play? Just yourself or you and one other?
This is my query as well.

Not sure how one would handle truly "by oneself" gaming.

If speaking about one GM and one Player, then it would really just require trimming down encounters, increasing player level, or combinations of both such. You will probably need to give extra access to NPCs with other skill sets that the player does not have. For instance, an NPC thief to make up for Player who is a Fighter. The encounters themselves would need to have ways to succeed with the abilities of the player... so if player is a Fighter, then the encounters would overall need to be geared towards that sort of game (probably the easiest to configure game to). If player is thief, then the encounters need to go more towards stealth, traps, getting past guards, climbing, etc. And so forth for the different classes...
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

If it is a by yourself type of play then there is nothing, that I know of, created for the system. Those "pick your path" adventures are not commonly found now. As SmootRK stated, if it is one GM and one Player then just trim down various encounters in preexisting modules.

Just touching base on something you mentioned
Stefski_74 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:41 am (live abroad and it’s difficult to get a game group together).
If you are interested in games that are text based, there are play by post games here and elsewhere. If you are interested in live games that are text based, I can hook you up with a text community in roll20 (see my signature). There are many ways to game now that did not exist just a few short years ago and I'm sure this community could put their heads together to figure out how to get you gaming.
minstrel

Post by minstrel »

I've always wanted to find a rainy day with nothing else to do (I wish!) and play through BSOLO - Ghost of Lion Castle. It's the one basic D&D module that I know of meant for solo play. Not exactly a campaign but might be a starting point with the least conversion necessary to BFRPG.

That said, I haven't looked at it in a long time, and it might be that they abstract away so many rules that playing it with BFRPG wouldn't be any different from D&D.

There are a few 1e/2e ones also if you enjoy it and want to do a little bit of toning down monster hp and such.
merias

Post by merias »

If you're looking to play alone, this is indeed possible and is a fun way to experiment with house rules or just get experience running combat. The best way to do this is to go to http://wizardawn.and-mag.com, select Basic Fantasy in the 'Fantasy Game' dropdown, then click on 'Dungeon Door', pick a level and check off 'Include rules'. You'll get a nice set of tables you can use to generate a random dungeon that can be played solo, on the fly, including monsters, treasure, traps, etc.
Longman

Post by Longman »

I was curious about the definition of "solo" as well.

In my experience games with one player (with a few characters) and the GM playing a few retainers can be excellent. Much easier to organise, and the player really feels like it is their story. It is definitely not the same as with a group, but it's still fun. Make sure the retainers have specific roles (guards, scouts, or perhaps thieves to do locks and traps) who can't be asked for too much campaign info. Wizards make good lead PCs.

Playing entirely alone? You'd have to use a computer generator, I can't see any other way, realistically. Wizardawn looks cool.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D ... ns_modules

Just search it for the word "solo"

There are also a bunch of one player/one dm games as well

I would imagine that using an online one player game would be much better than a paper module that uses invisible ink and other tricks to keep you from knowing whats coming
lstewart4

Post by lstewart4 »

I have not used Basic Fantasy yet, but I have had success playing solo/gmless using Mythic GM emulator. Also using https://www.rpgsolo.com/ for gm emulation and randomness. My interest in basic fantasy was for the very reason of solo, a lighter system but still structured.

I see this a lot, when people ask about playing RPGs solo, people say you cant, or that it's a social game, or go play a video game. My current stage in life with three small children I can not find any regularly scheduled time to play. But I can find an hour here and there to scratch the RPG itch. Solo is different, but it is very rewarding. This is a great video about the mindset one should have when playing Solo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfnFp83pvKM