Spell Acquisition and Temple Clerics

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
cbarchuk

Spell Acquisition and Temple Clerics

Post by cbarchuk »

Just had two quick questions:

1. Is finding new spell books the main way a Magic User can acquire new spells?

2. Is there a general consensus on how much healing services would cost from a town cleric or priest?

Thanks as always. :)
Metroknight

Re: Spell Acquisition and Temple Clerics

Post by Metroknight »

1: Magic Users acquire new spells through research, trading spells with or purchasing from other Magic Users, finding lost spell books or scrolls. There might be a few other ways but those are the main ones. Information can be found on pg 151 and 153 of the core rules.

2: That is more in the realm of individual GMs. Some would have the npcs charge gold, request the completion of a quest, etc.. but there is no general consensus that I have heard of or read. Wait for others to post to hear or find out is the best thing I could suggest.
Dimirag

Re: Spell Acquisition and Temple Clerics

Post by Dimirag »

1. Is finding new spell books the main way a Magic User can acquire new spells?
Yes, but as mentioned above there are some options. The standard rule is a way to limit the exponential power of magic users and a way of keeping them adventuring.
2. Is there a general consensus on how much healing services would cost from a town cleric or priest?
That's really setting-dependent, are your spell-casting priests waiting on temples for people to be healed? Do they heal everybody? Do they charge everyone for healing or just adventurers? Plus a lot more questions.
I prefer magic to be rare, even clerical one, I prefer to use apothecaries, resting houses and similar places but I don't have a set cost to give.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/