What's the AC of an animated armor?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Daucuscarota

What's the AC of an animated armor?

Post by Daucuscarota »

A plate armor gives 17 AC to its bearer, but if a wizard animates the armor, what should the Animated Armor's AC be?

It can be 17, but 17 AC means that it's hard to damage the person inside the armor, not to hit the armor.

Or it can be 11 because the Animated Armor is not wearing an armor. In this case, the Armor would have full hp (easy to hit, hard to kill).

Unarmored monsters don't necessarily have 11 AC, though, and their actual AC reflects their nature (high dextery, for instance). But if the Animated Armor fights just like a human would, it makes sense it has 11 AC.

I know in the end it's not that important, it's just my mind that won't stop bothering me until I reach to an answer.
Metroknight

Re: What's the AC of an animated armor?

Post by Metroknight »

You could take "Living Statue, Iron" (pg 101) and tweak it to suit what you want or need.
Core Rules pg 100 wrote:Living statues are magically animated. They are true automatons, unlike golems, which are animated by elemental spirits. While this means that living statues have no chance of going “berserk,” it also means that they may only perform simple programmed activities. They may not be commanded in any meaningful fashion. They make very effective guards for tombs, treasure rooms, and similar places.
Daucuscarota

Post by Daucuscarota »

Metroknight wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:51 pm You could take "Living Statue, Iron" (pg 101) and tweak it to suit what you want or need.
I had considered the same option but then I realised that a statue is full and heavy, while an armor is empty and lighter. Not sure if that should mean anything or not. I don't want to sound as though nothing was enough for me, this is only my neurosis at work.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd just go ahead and make it 17. Simple and obvious. It doesn't matter that much what you choose... whatever works for your purposes.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org