Stat arrays

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
cbarchuk

Stat arrays

Post by cbarchuk »

What is considered to be a good stat array that is somewhat generous but still reasonable and fair; not overpowered? Just want to look at what others are doing outside of the traditional 3d6 roll.
orobouros

Re: Stat arrays

Post by orobouros »

Other popular methods are the 4d6d1 (four d6, drop the lowest one) which tends to give you some pretty good stats. I don't remember the result of the math off the top of my head, but you'll probably end up with characters with about +3 overall ability.

Another is seven 3d6, drop the lowest, which is much closer to a straight six times 3d6 roll, with typical characters having a +1 overall ability.

You can also allow character "inversion" which I think is mentioned in the rules. A bad character with -1 or worse overall ability can take all their stats and subtract them from 21 from new stats.

Keep in mind party balance is important. The +3 str, -3 int fighter can really maul enemies, and the -3 str, +3 dex thief can rain arrows down. They're both "average" but as a team work better than a pair of +/-0 characters.
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Excellent reply. Thanks for the info. Some of the points you made I hadn't thought about.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I have played straight 3d6 play em where you roll em. I don't really like it though. If i have to play iron man (straight 3d6) at least let me place them where I want them.

I prefer 4d6drop1 and place them where you want them.

There is also roll em how ever you want, then do a buy back thing where you can increase an ability by 1 for every 2 you subtract somewhere else.

Some people have used the reroll 1s method.

Now, as a player I won't be upset if you use seven 4d6drop1, reroll 1s, drop the lowest, place them where you want them then do the buyback thing. Take full gold and max HP lol
Hexamer47

Post by Hexamer47 »

You might do a quick forum search for Smoot's House Rules. SmootRK posted some nice house rules, with a lot of cool options. One of those being the stat array options he uses for his games.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hexamer47 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:08 am You might do a quick forum search for Smoot's House Rules. SmootRK posted some nice house rules, with a lot of cool options. One of those being the stat array options he uses for his games.
Yes. I play with children (mostly mine), and especially when they were much younger, the fairness of all getting the same to start with was beneficial to not have tears among the crew.. Bear in mind also that the array is used in conjunction with an ability score increase mechanic and slightly altered tables that go up to much higher scores.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Hywaywolf wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:55 pm Now, as a player I won't be upset if you use seven 4d6drop1, reroll 1s, drop the lowest, place them where you want them then do the buyback thing. Take full gold and max HP lol
I like that too! :D
minstrel

Post by minstrel »

We're planning to use a variant of 6 x 3d6 where you roll a 3d6, pick which stat to assign it to, roll another, etc. until you've filled every slot.

Kind of a nice middle ground between 3d6 straight down and 3d6 arrange to taste, where you get a little mini-game of "do I want that 14 in str, or hold out for a 15+?".
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

One way I would like to try is:
1- Start with every ability at 8.
2- Roll 18d8 (seems like a lot, but its the same amount as rolling 3d6 six times).
3- Group results by numbers (all 1s, all 2s, etc).
4- Increase the ability by 1pt for each die in the group.
5- In case an ability surpasses 18pts redistribute the excess.
6- Array as desire.

This system randomly distribute a set value of points (18), you can change both the random and starting points to suit specific tastes, and if want something similar to "iron man" set a specific ability to each die value.
We're planning to use a variant of 6 x 3d6 where you roll a 3d6, pick which stat to assign it to, roll another, etc. until you've filled every slot.
I've used a similar one, where you roll 3d6 in order, but, if the rolled value does not reach the minimum required for class you put it on the next ability (if allowed by minimum values) and then roll again, starting from the top filling the voids as long as the minimums are respected.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

If I have the players roll it's 3d6 and arrange as they see fit but I also say max HP at level 1 for ease of play. On really rare occasions I do 4d6 keep 3 and arrange as they see fit.

Starting wealth is always 3d6 x 10 GP.
Working on - The Fallen City & The Baroness of Blood