Conversion of modules from other systems

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Snarkythekobold

Conversion of modules from other systems

Post by Snarkythekobold »

So, I am sure that this topic has been brought up several times and I have searched the forums and read what people have said. But I would like to know what the experiences of converting modules from other systems have been like for posters here.

I have some modules from Pathfinder, D&D, and some written in Dungeon magazine. They look great and my approach would be to read them, find the main hook, change out the monsters according to the conversion guide on this site, and give a lot of room for improvisation (and also, probably change names of characters, cities, etc. to some degree)

Are there any problems I might run into? I plan on changing out everything and just keeping the main themes, adventures, etc. I plan on seeking to err on the easier side, that is, when in doubt, go to a lower level monster, trap, etc.

I also used to play Dragon Strike and HeroQuest and would like to use some scenarios and dungeon maps from those adventures. There are some cool ones like a Werewolf outbreak and breaking up a potential bad guy alliance.

Thanks for any help
teaman

Re: Conversion of modules from other systems

Post by teaman »

Unless they are using super-weird opponents, you should be able to just substitute the stats from the main books.

Also, this site is GREAT for whipping up NPC's as needed:

http://basicfantasy.andrewcooperonline.com

You will definitely have to scale things down a bit. The HP on monsters in 4th edition, especially, is nuts. Not as sure about Pathfinder or 5E.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

Tonight I had some of my son's friends come over to play and I used the "Island in the Lake" module in the Anthology module. I didn't know that the module was basically just an island with various encounters but no story and I only had an hour and a half before everyone showed up. I just whipped up some ideas, connected it to a previous module we had done, and it turned out to be a blast! It's amazing how things just come together as you follow the basic rules. So, I really don't think I will have any problem converting other modules. Heck, I don't know if I am going to need one anytime soon. That one little module unfolded into something huge and we didn't even finish half of it tonight. A big thanks to Chris and all the people who contribute to BFRPG. It provided some great face time for me, my son, and his friends. It's a whole lot better than sitting in front of the boob tube or playing video games.
GM Parseth

Post by GM Parseth »

Awesome to hear you and the kids had fun! I'm always happy when a session comes together :lol:
Working on - The Fallen City & The Baroness of Blood