Newbie questions

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Snarkythekobold

Re: Newbie questions

Post by Snarkythekobold »

Thanks for the answer Dimirag. I feel kind of lazy asking these questions but it has been a lot for me to digest as a newbie.

I should mention to them about the effect of fire on perishables. I actually knew that one, imagine that.

I am also wondering if flames hurt weapons such as crossbows and such. The players are about to face the elf Valanunthe in the "Tales from the Laughing Campaign" and I think that she carries some sort of advanced bow or something. I think they are planning to hit her with their last Molotov cocktail and I wonder if it would affect it while she is carrying it and if it would make it unusable after the battle (if they don't get killed!).
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I once had a 1st level elf who was carrying 4 wicked oil flask on the front straps of his pack who had an additional lit flask in hand ready to toss as soon as a pal kicked in a door. when he did I found myself facing 5 bandits with crossbows waiting in ambush for me. I lost initiative and all 5 hit me, with 4 of them rolling 20s. We were playing double damage on a crit. I took 51hp of damage. The DM played it off as the bolts smashing all my flasks including the lit one. I went up like a frozen turkey dipped in a hot fryer. I was nothing but ash. It was a beautiful thing.
PendragonTX

Post by PendragonTX »

Seeing in daylight. Indoors will probably be line-of-sight. Outdoors, based on real world human eyeballs, a man sized figure can be identified at 100 yards, as a shape at 300, as movement at 600. Vehicles at double that -- and wagons are bigger than cars.
Also look out for rising clouds of dust on roads, and if birds disturbed by things moving on the ground.
Thread Necromacer-at-Large
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Hywaywolf wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:40 pm I once had a 1st level elf who was carrying 4 wicked oil flask on the front straps of his pack who had an additional lit flask in hand ready to toss as soon as a pal kicked in a door. when he did I found myself facing 5 bandits with crossbows waiting in ambush for me. I lost initiative and all 5 hit me, with 4 of them rolling 20s. We were playing double damage on a crit. I took 51hp of damage. The DM played it off as the bolts smashing all my flasks including the lit one. I went up like a frozen turkey dipped in a hot fryer. I was nothing but ash. It was a beautiful thing.
I just shed a happy tear. This was beautiful. Everything about this was beautiful. There should be a statue built.