How is any of this possible? Is BF monetized in any way?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
CarrionScrawler

How is any of this possible? Is BF monetized in any way?

Post by CarrionScrawler »

Just became aware of Basic Fantasy within the week, and bought everything available on Amazon in softcover (I think it was 10 items), as well as did a P.O.D. order with Lulu for hardcover copies of the Core Rules and Field Guide.

1.) Does Chris realize ANY profit from these sales?

2.) How is this possible? Is it possible that organizing this all together was a cost-free enterprise for him/you (if Chris happened to read this)?

3.) When I buy a print copy, does Amazon make a profit? Who prints them?

4.) I'd love to support you even peripherally for the game you've given us, what do you have available that you DO earn a percentage on? Do you earn money off Iron Falcon and/or
The Role-Playing Game Primer & Old-School Playbook?

In any case, in doing this project ostensibly for free, Chris has earned a loyal customer and supporter in anything he decides to publish for a long time. I really believe in rewarding and backing up someone who poured untold amounts of time, effort and stress into a publishing endeavour of this kind so that we could have it, (and for free no less!). If I spot 'Poems About My Dead Cat' by C.G. or 'The Chris Gonnerman Guide to the Public Toilets of Northern Scotland', I'll be the first person buying a copy! (No art for that one, please.)

Thanks in Advance,
-Warren.
orobouros

Re: How is any of this possible? Is BF monetized in any way?

Post by orobouros »

1) No, as far as anybody is aware. (I think his novel set in Slateholm might, but that's sold through Amazon and is separate from all the Basic Fantasy proper stuff.)

2) It's a project of passion. Renting and maintaining a relatively low-use website these days is fairly cheap. A lot of the content is generated and maintained by the community, too, so it's not like one person has to sit around keeping things going 24/7.

3) Lulu and Amazon are businesses. They take their cut somewhere. As to whether Amazon/Lulu have their own in-house print facilities or outsource is unknown.

4) The nice thing about hobby communities is that the reward is the product itself. Money is nice (and necessary) but it's also nice to keep money out of things. The best way to contribute is to provide constructive feedback on the stuff in the workshop, introduce your friends/family/acquaintances to the game (so the rest of us can find more people to play with), and organize a game (or participate) when you have the chance.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Chris has said a few times, scattered in various threads, that all the BFRPG game material is sold at cost on lulu so I would assume the same for other places. Now on his Iron Falcon and other stuff, I think, is sold to make a profit but that would take him stating yes to be official as I just glean information off the various posts.

The game system is what brought me here but it is the community that has kept me around.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

1. All BFRPG Amazon & Lulu items are sold at-cost. I believe they primarily support the cost of hosting this website, a few giveaway copies at conventions that Chris goes to, etc.
2. As far as finances, perhaps yes. But time, it's been an investment for all of us. We enjoy this game and helping foster collaboration and spur imagination for more adventures, monsters, etc.
3. The Amazon/Createspace & Lulu items, while sold at-cost, do have a percentage taken by those websites/companies, as is standard procedure.
4. Yes, Chris does sell Iron Falcon and his writings/novels at a higher price point for a profit, and the fact that those are his works. BFRPG items, in comparison, have been collaborative in nature though without Chris' leadership and huge chunks of time and work wouldn't have seen the light of day.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

"Don't Buy This Book"
CarrionScrawler

Post by CarrionScrawler »

Hywaywolf wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:27 pm "Don't Buy This Book"
I'm Chaotic Good.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

CarrionScrawler wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:09 pm
Hywaywolf wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:27 pm "Don't Buy This Book"
I'm Chaotic Good.
The easiest to con ;). Actually lawful good is the easiest to con. Chaotic good is people like Jack Reacher (from the books, not that half pint wimp they have in the movies). And you don't want to piss him off.
teaman

Post by teaman »

And I am eternally grateful to Chris and the rest of the BFRPG community. It has provided countless hours of gaming. This enriches my life more than anyone knows. I've had some real job stress these past few years, and BFRPG sessions help all that melt away.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Daucuscarota

Post by Daucuscarota »

Thank you, Chris. I don't think I have said it before but I really appreciate all of this. And the people here are nice, really nice.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

They have to be nice, or I beat them severely.

:D

Seriously, I don't know how all this niceness happened.

And you are welcome. I'd answer your original post in detail, but everyone else has done so for me and done it quite well. So thanks to you guys for taking care of the place while I've been busy!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org