Adaptation of the free cast magic rules

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
teluria

Adaptation of the free cast magic rules

Post by teluria »

I have never liked the "Vancian" magic system. But I also realize that not having any limits on what casters can use tends to make them overpowered at higher levels. At first I was going to go for a spell point system, but I realized that was going to cause other issues, so what I did was go for a setting based solution along with a slight modification to the way the casting system works.

Since finding and learning spells is HARD, a spell book or scroll suddenly becomes a much more valuable treasure, and encounters with other mages present excellent chances for additional role play.

Here's how I'm handling it in Penundra if anyone is interested. Comments welcome.

SPELL PROGRESSION
Progression of spells is as per normal BFRPG.
The maximum number of spells of each level castable during each rest period is as shown in the standard rules. The main difference between the way magic works in BFRPG and in Penundra is that a magic user may cast any spell they know as long as they have sufficient spell levels available.

The other difference is that in Penundra, spells are 1) hard to learn, and 2) hard to find. Except for first level, all spells must be found and learned, even when gaining a level. Just because a character can cast 3rd level spells, does not mean they automatically gain any. Because of this, a magic user can use the spell slots of a higher level to cast spells one level lower. For example, the 5th level mage Beeljeboom doesn’t know any 3rd level spells but has a spell slot for 1 3rd level spell. He can use that spell slot to cast 1 second level spell (any remaining spell levels are lost). This can only be used until the mage learns a spell of that level, at which point the ability to cast lower level spells using those spell slots is lost.
LEARNING SPELLS
Magic Users may cast any spell they know as long as they have enough slots of that level available. To learn a spell requires either a book or scroll with the spell already inscribed which the mage can use to have another mage teach it to them (provided the teacher knows it themselves) or weeks of study and experimentation to learn the spell if the mage is trying to learn it on their own.

Persuading another mage to teach you a spell can be difficult, as most mages hoard their knowledge to maintain their own levels of power. The exception to this is at the occasional School of Magic, but such institutes are usually short lived, as they have a bad tendency to close suddenly under suspicious circumstances, unless being simultaneously struck by multiple bolts of lightning is commonplace where you live.

Most mages will charge a fee to teach a spell, plus additional fees for the level difference between the teacher and the student. A caster cannot teach a spell they cannot cast themselves.

It should be noted that haggling is expected. Use the reaction role to determine whether the mage will even agree to teach the spell at all.

Player character mages will find that learning a rare spell and teaching it to others can be very lucrative. One mage who was able to find the text for, and learn, Felmulg’s Hairy Conundrum[1] was able to retire within a few months.

Learning under the tutelage of another mage does not guarantee that a student will learn the spell well enough to cast it. However, most mages will not offer money back guarantees. When learning a spell, the mage will cast Read Magic, and then attempt to learn the new spell. It takes one day per spell level to learn a new spell.

The target roll to learn a new spell is 10 + the level of the spell.
To try to learn the spell, the player rolls a d20 and applies the following bonuses:
• + 1 to the roll for every level the teacher is above the student.
• Attribute Bonus for Intelligence +1 for 13-15, + 2 for 16-17, and + 3 for 18-19
• + 1 for each spell level difference between the highest level spell the caster can use and the spell being learned. So if the highest level spell a mage can cast is 3 and they are trying to learn a 1st level spell, then the bonus would be +2.
There is a -1 per spell level for trying to learn a spell without a teacher. This penalty does not exist when a teacher is present.
Failing to succeed in learning the spell will require the fee to be paid again.

If a critical failure is rolled (1) then the player rolls again. If they roll another critical failure, they will suffer a blow back according the table below:
Roll Effect
1 Roll again, if another 1 is rolled, then the character loses 1d2 INT points permanently
2-3 The Magical Forces fail to align, an explosion occurs causing 2 points of damage per spell level to the student
5-6 Student becomes a were-goat
7-8 Student becomes a were-cow
9-13 The emphAsis was put on the wrong sylLAble, and the student merely relearned a spell they already knew.
14-15 Student becomes a were-bunny
16-17 Student becomes a were-sheep
18-19 Student changes Gender.
20 Roll again, if another 20 is rolled, the student casts a random Named Spell, but it will immediately be cast with the student as the target. If the student survives, they will learn the Named Spell but will not be able to cast it until they are the proper level.
If a critical success is rolled (20) then the player rolls again. If they roll a second 20, then they will learn the spell especially well, and will cast it without risk of failure. If the spell does damage, they will always get full damage.
NAMED SPELLS
Named spells are spells that originate before the Old Empire was destroyed. Most were discovered by mages whose names are either whispered in dread or spoken of in admiration.
The Great Wizards of the Old Empire include:
Phangulfer – Was well known for his many excellent defensive spells
Felmulg – Discovered many spells of wonderous effect, but of limited practical usage.
Fnorvissik – Specialized in spells dealing with Demons and other interdimensional beings.
Svalkrunger– Alchemist extraordinaire.
Tinglissel – Was known for offensive spells. Not damaging, but offensive in their concepts or what they could possibly be used for[2]
Gortminkel – Known for spells that caused damage or other mayhem.

[1] Felmulg’s Hairy Conundrum is a spell which causes the target’s hair to grow uncontrollably from every inch of their skin. Not terribly useful at a glance, but it can be devastating in the right hands.
[2] Tinglissel’s Lingering Amusement was especially well known as it provided a male victim with a permanent case of priapism. When cast on a female, it caused her to emit an aphrodisiacal scent that would arouse the libidinous interest of any male within a 250’ radius, regardless of creed, race, or even species.
Plagiarism is the sincerest form of Appreciation
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Adaptation of the free cast magic rules

Post by Solomoriah »

For the record, in the Core Rules on page 151 you'll note that Magic-Users do NOT "automatically" learn spells when they gain levels. Your statement seems to imply that you think this happens, but the rules say otherwise.

Your "free cast" rules sound rather a lot like the system I use in one of my groups, as found in the Magic-User Options supplement; specifically, I use a combination of the "Liberal Casting" and "Slot Demotion" rules given there.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
teluria

Post by teluria »

I mostly put the bit about not automatically gaining spells to preclude any misunderstandings from players that might think otherwise. I'm aware that BFRPG doesn't automatically give a player a new spell when they gain the next level, but I have players coming from a multitude of other games, who may have other experiences.

I hope nobody thinks I was claiming this came full formed from my own brain. This was an adaptation It was a combination of free casting with a more restrictive slot demotion with the addition of the learning process.

One of the reasons I play BFRPG is that it's very easy to house rule and make changes to to fit the way I want to run my world.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Now I'm curious... how is your slot demotion rule more restrictive than the one in Magic-User Options? I'm not seeing it.
teluria

Post by teluria »

I believe the slot demotion rules as written allow any lower level spell (at least that's how I read them) The way I handled it, only the next lower level spells can be substituted. It limits the amount of mischief that can be made by a mage who has a large number of spell slots available. I also added the restriction that slot substitution is only available as long as no spells of that level are known.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ah. I get the first part, but is there a rationale for the second (limiting demotion to only when you don't know the right level spell)? I'm personally not in favor of taking something away from a player when he or she improves the character. Gaining a 2nd level spell in your system removes the ability to demote a 2nd level slot to 1st level, so a 3rd level magic-user who has been casting up to 3 sleep spells a day who is presented with an option to learn knock has a hard choice... both spells are very useful, and giving up that third sleep spell may be a really tough decision.
teluria

Post by teluria »

Learning a new spell is fraught with peril anyway, so the worst that I can anticipate happening is that a player may not add a spell of a given level until they find something very useful, especially if it's their first spell of that level, to both make it worth the risk and to avoid losing the use of that slot.

However, eventually they will have to learn a spell, or higher level slots become worthless, since they can't be demoted more than one level.

I don't want mages to be magic starved, but they should have to think carefully about options.
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

This makes it sound like the following is a possible (though perhaps not probable) scenario. A magic user of level 3 knows magic missile. Can they cast it every round? That would make most magic users exceptionally powerful in combat. Is this balanced by anything?

I'd recommend adding an example case to your description to make it clearer how things are changing.
teluria

Post by teluria »

Good point. Lets say a 5th level mage has not learned any 3rd level spells. He does know 2 2nd level spells. He also knows 2 1st level spells. He would be allowed to demote the 3rd level slots to cast 2nd level spells. But would not be able to use them for 1st level spells.

As soon as he learns a third level spell, those slots can only be used for 3rd level apells and cannot be demoted.

If he were to say not learn any spells other than magic missile, eventually he would be able to cast MM 11 times. While this could be deadly, I don't know any player who would be content with just being able to cast magic missile. I think I will add a rule that you must know at least one spell of the next lower level in order to learn a spell of a higher level.
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

Ah, that's a very good example. From the original post it wasn't clear if magic could (or could not) just be cast at will. This appears to be a tweaking of the progression system.