Hit Points beyond 9th Level

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
+1 Dagger

Hit Points beyond 9th Level

Post by +1 Dagger »

Hello, fellow BFRPG aficionados.
There's something that's always bothered me, ever since I played 1st and 2nd Ed AD&D back in the day, and I've noticed it's a part of Basic Fantasy, as well (no doubt in keeping with the idea of sticking to the precepts of the older games). I was wondering why (and I've never received a really good reasoning), after 9th Level of experience, all characters are given just a set number of additional hit point when leveling up. Why wouldn't they get to continue rolling a new hit die? Granted, it's certainly not a huge deal, as most PC's don't achieve such lofty levels anyway, but that rule always just rubbed me the wrong way. Of course, I could simply house-rule it my way, but I'd like to hear whatever justifications there might be for the BTB rule. Thanks, everyone.
SmootRK

Re: Hit Points beyond 9th Level

Post by SmootRK »

Continuing to add full hd would change the power levels considerably for those upper level characters. It would likely create a situation where all monsters, spells, and such would also need some level of re-configuring to re-establish some semblance of balance.

It is there because it emulates the way these games were written back in the day, and the power curve is likewise well established along these norms. The flattening out of HP growth is very normal.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I was always told that the HD growth represent training in your class and after 9th level, you no longer had time for the training, mastered most of the class's skills and abilities, or what ever the GM declared why.
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

There's also a simple statistical argument to make. The standard deviation of the possible outcomes shrinks rapidly by the time you're rolling that many times. You could, in principle, allow for rolling the hitdice at every level, but the outcome would be nearly identical. At level ten, a thief with 24 or 26 HP is probably going to do about the same in battle, and probably exactly the same if it comes to lockpicking or such. A fighter is going to do about the same in combat whether it's got 79 or 83 HP at level 18. You're probably fighting monsters which can do 2d8 damage or more. If you're in that battle and hanging on to life by 2 HP, it's probably going to come down to the pity of the GM anyway.

5E has a rule about just taking the mean expected HP per level, rounded up, which in the long run is the best choice. It takes a bit of the excitement out of it all, sure, but it's a fair way to do it. Of course, maybe the level 3 fighter with 10 HP should just be tossed aside so you can try again to get one with 20 HP at that level.

But tl;dr, it's statistics.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I knew one group that did flat hp per level along with flat damage per weapon (back in the 80's).
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

:D
Attachments
awsweetanotherrulesdebate.gif
awsweetanotherrulesdebate.gif (5.67 MiB) Viewed 3962 times
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

Metroknight wrote:I knew one group that did flat hp per level along with flat damage per weapon (back in the 80's).
While I'm personally a fan of complex combat rules and procedures, there's definitely a space for simplified, no-crunch games. I bought Maze of the Blue Medusa and would love to play it (or GM it) but the module is rather heavy on roleplaying and -- from what I can tell -- pretty hard to survive unless you're at pretty significant levels (BFRPG characters would probably need to be level 15 to waltz through, at 10 it would be a challenge to get out without losing a player character). A system with simplified combat, saving, abilities, etc. would be great for that kind of setting.