Maximum die sizes questions.

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
guillesugus

Maximum die sizes questions.

Post by guillesugus »

Hello,
I'm totally new to tabletop RPGs and have been figuiring this one out by reading the rulebook and some of the discussions on the forum. Most of my issues have been solved by doing this, but one thing that isn't completely clear to me is the following:
Elves (for example) have a maximum HD of d6. Does this mean that a first level elven fighter will have 1d6 HP (plus bonuses) instead of the 1d8 (plus bonuses) HP a human fighter would have?

Also, an elf armed with a battle axe (which deals 1d8 damage) would also roll just 1d6 for damage?

This last part is the one that bothers me the most, as it would make no sense for elves to acquier large weapons if that were the case (as they all deal more than 1d6 damage).

Thanks in advance for the answers!
vfults

Re: Maximum die sizes questions.

Post by vfults »

Short answer: yes to your first question and no to your second question.

Elven hit die is limited to a maximum of d6, but that does not limit the damage by weapon type that they inflict.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hit Dice is not the same thing as Damage Dice. A limit on one does not indicate any sort of limit or affects upon the other.

Elf has maximum HD of d6. This has no bearing on various weapons or anything else.
It just means Elves tend to have lower Hit Points than some other races.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
guillesugus

Post by guillesugus »

Thanks to both of you! Everything makes sense now.